Join now - be part of our community!

Xperia Z3 Compact GPS Not Working

SOLVED
fivesecondmove
Visitor

Xperia Z3 Compact GPS Not Working

I did diagnostics on Z3 compact but gps failed. Followed the instruction but nothing happened. Fix this sony.
125 REPLIES 125
harddmytro
Visitor

Sony, you should think about the issue of irons, for more you can not let the way professionals from Samsung or xioami you already worse these brands.
Rocky90y
Visitor

My GPS has stopped working like so many others have reported. The phone is just out of warranty and I believe it is a hardware issue after reading the posts on this site. I followed the advice of one post that said to plug in the USB cable and wiggle it, the GPS worked but stopped again once the cable was removed. Suspect there is a loose connection somewhere. The phone has never been subject to rough treatment or suffered any serious drops, so it must be a result of plugging and unplugging the power cable to charge it. Very dissapointed as I have always been a fan of Sony electronics as they were always good quality. Not sure what I will buy next but it wont be sony

2yoten
Visitor

Hello all!

Same problem here. 

I go there: http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/FAQ/GPS/m-p/351902

And used this: 

If the GPS is unable to get a fix with free sight to the sky, first try purging the assistance data and then restart the phone. To purge the assistance data, open the dialer and dial *#*#7378423#*#*, select Service tests -> GPS -> Purge assistance data and then restart the phone.

My GPS is baaaaackkkkk!!!!

Beethoven9
Visitor

I'm on a replacement phone. I've just read the solution above, now hoping it works.
Beethoven9
Visitor

Well, that didn't work for me. I'm stuck now with a phone that doesn't do GPS navigation, which is quite an important feature for me. I've done all the software repair steps, and sent my phone to Sony and received back what is apparently a replacement phone with the exact same problem! This is maddening!
Titom
Visitor

Same problem for me.

No GPS for a phone at 500€... i payed 50€ to repair it during the garanty to sony and i have the same problem with the new one ... What a brand ... For sure you will not have phone on the market very soon. I am doing all I can do to touch the maximum of people about your behaviour on this problem ... I was sony for many years but this problem can't be accepted by customers and everyone as to know that. you have the worst customer service of the world and your protect are hopeless cant wait to see you down

Stokvis
Visitor

Same problem. I got a replacement fone that suddenly can't connect to GPS satellites. My warrenty has just expired. Resetting the phone does not help. I am not technical enough to open the phone and try to fix a connector. I now have a worse phone than the one I sent for repair, thanks Sony.

Lomuka
Visitor

Dear companions in misfortune,

just to state the obvious, I had exactly the same issue with my GPS (Xperia Z3 compact): any GPS test app was viewing plenty of satellites, but there was no fix at all, not even one use. As I am still very new with smartphones, I don't have much experience, yet, but this situation pretty much looked like a software issue to me.

Now, in the beginning I said that I HAD the same issue. Because of past tense, I wanted to share my road to success with you:

I followed the advice of 2yoten, who had posted the link to the official Sony answer to this. I guess most of you would have tried these instructions already, but still I hope that my adjusted version could help some of you, at least.

So, this is how I did it:

- I took out my SIM card and reset my phone to factory settings (I know - anoying to get everything back in line)

- I did all the updates (Android 6) and reinstallations of apps I want to have ( ! without putting SIM back inside ! )

- in Settings > Location, I checked "High Resolution" and have my WiFi on

- I purged the assistance data (dialing: *#*#7378423#*#* and then into Service Tests, GPS, Purge ... )

- still in the service menu I restarted the phone and went outside (2 degrees Celsius)

- again into Service Tests (dialing: *#*#7378423#*#* etc) and starting the internal GPS test in open space (on our parking lot), but with at least a little connection to our WLAN ... took about 2 minutes to finally have a successful GPS testing done

- closed service menu, opened the downloaded app "GPS Test" and waited a few minutes. Again, only views, but no uses.

- walked a bit, slowly ... then finally the first use appeared. The new spot was a bit more open than the one before, but a few meters further from the house ... still had very few WLAN connection.

- then they came in, satellite by satellite and I finally had the fix ... 10 satellites ... not strong, but stable, even after I had exited WLAN coverage

[Note: two hours later I went outside again (to check if it's still working) and both apps "GPS Test" as well as "GPS Status & Toolbox" fixed within 2-3 minutes (~10 satellites). Signal strength still wasn't good, but positioning was possible.]

Again, I hope this was helpful to at least some of you! Possible, that it was just coincidence, but I somehow believe that the immediate restart after purging the assitance data did the trick. Likely, that the WLAN connection was useful, too. I hope you understand that I don't dare to test the effect of the latter unless I suffer from malfunction again Winking_Face

Alright, there is only one more thing worth mentioning: Google Maps still won't work on satellite Slightly_frowning_Face I'll try to fix that, too. Anyway, I think this is the proof that (at least for me) it is a software problem!

@Sony: I think this problem is worth solving! It's a pitty to see great phones being downgraded by such fundamental bugs and so many users being angry because of that!

All this definitely doesn't cure the numerous wounds of Sony's randomness and neglection ... so, Sony, there is potential to improve! Maybe it is a good idea to combine all the voices in some social media and make a joint effort to protest!?

I'll keep you posted about changes.

Heads up and all the best,

Lomuka

Stokvis
Visitor

I did the same steps as you did, but no luck here. I do not believe this GPS connection problem is sofware related. Many people have stated that fiddling with the USB connector made the GPS tot connect, and also opening the phone and bending the GPS connector worked.

In my case, I had a working Z3C with a minor problem that Sony exchanged under warranty for a refurbished model with the GPS issue. They now refuse to replace this refurbished model under warranty. I am very disapointed in Sony, what a way to treat customers.

Sony: care to respond to all these mentions of failed GPS functions?

Beethoven9
Visitor

Getting nowhere. Now booked phone for third repair for this issue. Engineers seem incapable of recognising the issue, despite my detailed description. So disheartening.