Join now - be part of our community!

Xperia Z3 Compact GPS Not Working

SOLVED
fivesecondmove
Visitor

Xperia Z3 Compact GPS Not Working

I did diagnostics on Z3 compact but gps failed. Followed the instruction but nothing happened. Fix this sony.
125 REPLIES 125
Stranger16
Visitor

I am also wondering... If there is a update available for the M2 to this same GPS problem, so where is the update for the Z3C? I have read that this update has solved Gps problems in many M2 phone. I'm now guite sure that this is a firmware problem...
thewing
Visitor

On the xda forums here someone tested the GPS with other custom ROMs, and this seems to work well. This makes me suppose that the problem is most probably software related, and the bug was injected at some firmware update in August 2015.

As from GPS test app the satellite positions are loaded, so the AGPS is working, but the signal fixes are very weak. Something seems to disturb the GPS antenna at acquaring stable signals. This is only my impression though, could be that I'm totally wrong.

Mark25
Visitor

Now happening to mine. Any ideas. Sony used to be my favourite phone. ... Please help
Petr_N
Visitor

Dear Sony,

could you please reply to simple question - are you really working on fixing this problem? Yes or No?

If Yes, when we can expect the release?

I´m so disappointed by your statement to this problem. It´s not about problem with one model only, you will lose potential buyers just because you don´t talk clearly to actual owners of your products. I´m fed up with incessant explaining to the passangers in my car why I can´t use the navigation in my phone.

Looking forward to your reply

Petr

Daichi
Visitor

Exact same problem than lot of guys here...

Z3C bought on January 2015 in the official Sony online store. It was perfectly working since this stupid 5.1 firware update. My phone has no hardware trouble at ALL, never drown it, never even scratched it. 

> The GPS test detects satellites but can't use them. While trying to run navigation apps, if you stay static and don't make a move the Navigation works it locates you, find a path to your claimed destination. But as I said, don't even think about moving if you don't want it to stay blocked with this well known message "Searching GPS signal". That's 100% a software problem.

Sony for our nerves, will you just admit that you got it all wrong with this Lollipop rubbish and give us a headsup about this embarrasing default which is impacting your devices all around the globe for, at least, 4 months now ?!

That's simple, I can't even remember how it feels to have a GPS working on your low quality device, I'm done with you Sony. No more Xperia, you can count on me. (Obviously I tried all the ways to sort this out.. Factory Resets, clear gps data cache, contact the "Xperia care assistance", searched all the internet, xda forum ... )

zille
Visitor

Absolutely the same issue with GPS. No any solution at the moment (recovery, support etc not helps).

Sony DO something with it!!!

Rickard
Master

@Petr_N

If a software repair using PC Companion does not help, you need to contact a service location to have this fixed. For more information on how to sumbit your phone for repairs and where, please contact your Local support.

Paolo77
Visitor

I've contacted local support for the gps issue, they say that its not sure if this kind of problem its covered by warranty (!?) and that it can takes a long time to repair the phone. I asked if they new that many people have problems with gps with this device, the response was: "there's anything else i can do for you?".

Facts are:

-after lollipop upgrade gps doesnt work anymore, software or hardward failure we dont care. A lot of people complain about this, so its not an user problem its a device problem, other devices with exactly the same problem recieved a fix and now they works, but not z3c. If the solution YOU suggest is to contact local support, then local support should be aware of the problem and and help you fix this BIG issue, but they dont.

The bad is that Sony pretends that this is not a device issue, simply because solve problems cost money.

I'm not a stupid, im an honest person who goes really angry when others are not honest. I commit to myself to write a post about this on every forum on the earth, people cant be fooled like this after we spent 500 $ for a device.

peig007
Visitor

Just thought to share my case with everyone and tell my very negative opinion about Sony.

Reading all these comments I really thought it is a software issue i have with my z3compact. Had the same problems, finding the satellites but not connecting them. 

Because i still have the warranty I took my phone to the official service. They charged me to find the exact problem. They said it is mechanical issue. The main panel is bent where the gps antenna is, there is a tiny fraction. They sent me some photos too, but i hardly see any problem. I still do not understand how i was able to bend the main panel. One of their example was causing this with the charging cable. 

Since i have the phone i use charging dock so i hardly used the other. Anyway they don't want to fix it for free only for very expensive cost. (Half of the price for i bought) I am very upset and disappointed with Sony and with the so called service what is behind. No chance to buy Sony again. I think this is an issue what for Sony is responsible. If you can bend the main panel by just using the charging cable, then it is a design and material problem, which should be fixed. So it is a faulty product, which can get wrong any time. It will happen to anyone. 

No wonder why Sony's mobile department is nowhere, because they build phones with many problems and you only pay the sony brand but there is nothing behind it anymore. 

I would have written a letter direct to Sony mobile derpartment but i haven't found any address.

This gps problem happened with so many people and sony has no reaction. It is a shame. 

Klunst
Visitor

So. I have myself the same problem, and it's been since something like 6 month. I'm currently using a replacement phone because my phone was sent to sony for repair. It's been 3 times.

First time I had issues with the 3.5mm jack. Sony changed my motherboard and give me back my phone... with the GPS not working. Since then, I've tried everything which would not void my warranty, but I absolutely can't get my GPS to work again. Like everyone here, my device can see the satellite, but not connect to them. It connect to them sometimes, but only for less than 10 seconds, after it's the same issue all over again.

This is clearly a firmware related issue. I sent my phone back to sony for them to fix this, they sent it back to me with "software update" but it didn't change a thing. I sent it back to sony the same day, with a precise description of what don't work.

Now here is the situation : you screwed up big. It seems that when upgrading to Android 5.11, the firmware of the GPS is updated, and for some devices, it cause the GPS to not work anymore. Obviously it happens in only a few case, few enough that you decided to ignore it, especially considering that most of your customers just don't know what is happening but don't investigate further. What is really worrisome is that people downgraded their phone and that it didn't change anything. But people here love their phones, love(d) Sony and are ready to go to some lenghts to repair it, so I think it's time to act. There are two possibilities on this issue : either the upgrade broke the GPS module, which is, really, really unlikely, and inconsistent with the fact that most of us are able to get a fix for some seconds, either the GPS firmware is in a memory which is physically on the GPS module, and that's what up. And as customers, we can't access it. That's what we need. Call one of your engineers, give us the code for the old firmware, give us the code for the new firmware, and give a command to send code in the module. That's all that's needed to fix this issue. Any of us which is able to code (that's a lot of people) have some ideas of where the problem lies, but we can't fix it. You are not helping us. And you are not even admitting we have a problem. If you won't fix it, let us at least try, thank you.