Join now - be part of our community!

Xperia Z3 Compact GPS Not Working

SOLVED
fivesecondmove
Visitor

Xperia Z3 Compact GPS Not Working

I did diagnostics on Z3 compact but gps failed. Followed the instruction but nothing happened. Fix this sony.
125 REPLIES 125
JohannesE
Visitor

Hello,

I have the Z3C and since updating to 5.1.1 the GPS doesn't work anymore, have found many threadds and it is really not nice to have apparently quite a few people affected but no clear solution.

The thing is, sometimes after like 10 minutes it DOES get a fix. It always sees about 20 sattelites and even receives some signal of one or two. So the hardware is definitively (at least partly!) working.

Then I saw the M2 firmware update fixing some gps issues, so really would be great to know if Sony has any plans or is working on a potential fix also for the Z3 series.

I DID send it in for servicing, and they came back to me stating that it would require exchanging the mainboard and they cannot guarantee that it will work afterwards!! (Obviously, if it were software related 😉 ))

Anyhow, the fact that for so many people it only occured after updating makes me think it really is a software related issue implying there is a software related solution, but in any case would be really good to have an official and final response to this issue.

Best

toth42
Visitor

@Hampus,

we are many Z3C-owners with this problem, no amount of restarts or companion-repairs fixes it - GPS is totally crashed after the OTA update.

Please reply honestly and accuratly - ARE YOU WORKING ON THIS?!

Rickard
Master

Sorry to hear that your GPS doesn't work properly.

In case the suggestions in this thread doesn't help i'm afraid it does sound like there may be something wrong with your unit. I recommend that you contact an authorized service location for further investigation and repairs.

For more information about how to submit your phone for repair and where, please contact your local support team.

FleyeVision
Visitor

Please Sony confirm you are working and releasing the same fix for the z3c as you just did for the m2, the reply i just read with the same question doesnt assure me you understand the scale of this issue. Sygic useless now and in need of GPS daily for my work, it feels like such a simple solution. Gets frustrating. Sony fan since your walkman in the 80s, plse acknowledge and fix it

FleyeVision
Visitor

Sony?? I contact official site and forum several times, but I receive only the copy-paste-standard GPS Fix answer which ofcourse doesnt solve the problem, just tell all z3c owners that fix is on the way. GPS on z3c not working after 5.1 for many many users, please acknkowledge this, Bas

thewing
Visitor

Same problem here, I adressed the problem also onto the xda-developers forum here. Used the GPS Test app to test the sensor, and it seems to work but with a very low SNR (Singal to Noise Ratio) of about 15 to 20, resulting in very poor performance. The accuracy almost never falls below 10m (~33 feet) and the sensor is useless for car navigation apps, like Google Maps.

The GPS chip was working fine until August 2015, when I shipped the phone for repair because of water seepage. They gave me a brand new device with this annoying GPS bug.

As I can read out from the other persons on this thread, it seems that someone has a the same performance problem, while others can't even reach a 3D fix. It may something related to jamming signals coming e.g. from bluetooth or even mobile network antenna amplifier, but it sounds wierd cause normally these things are well tested to work togheter flawlessly.

As said to the xda forums, I tried to reflash the firmware and reinstall the os with pc companion, all a waste of time. Even returning the device to the service seems not to work, people in this forum and on xda said that the smartphone came back with the exact same issue.

Will Sony finally take this issue seriously? I'm getting really annoyed..

Stranger16
Visitor

Same problem here in my z3c. GPS worked fine last summer when I bought it, but then there was about three months when I didn't need to use GPS. In november I noticed that GPS location didn't work anymore when I tried to navigate. Since I have tried to do all repairs that I have been suggested from Sony and internet-discussions... GPS test from service menu (*#*#7378423#*#*), factory reset, repair in Pc companion... Nothing has been helped. I'm not sure, but I think there was a lollipop 5.1.1 upgrade between GPS worked/not worked. When I use app GPS Test, it can recognize about 20-30 satellites, but there is text NO FIX, which means that the satellites can't be locked and GPS don't work normally. Because this problem is world wide and guite usual, I think it is a firmware problem. If it's a hardware problem this phone model is crappy. Will there be a repair for this problem in Android marshmallow 6.0? Will Sony do anything at all about this GPS issue? If someone has solved this problem, please help us!?!

Mikko from Finland
Rickard
Master

I'm sorry to hear that.

From what you are describing i recommend that you contact a service centre or your Local support for further investigation of your device.

kovacsp79
Visitor

I have the same issue here - probably after the last upgrade.. The phone recognize 20-30 satelites, but not able to fix the GPS. I tried to run the internal GPS test, but it always failed.

Before the last upgrade, it works fine. I am currently on 23.4.A.1.264.

Is there any solution for the issue, or should I need to go to the local service partner?

Paolo77
Visitor

Its really annoing that sony suggests to repair your phone when they perfectly know that its a software bug, even assistance center know that and they say theres nothing to do, except wait for an update or avoid sony devices.
Many stores doesnt sell sony devices anymore because many people complain about gps not working.
This its really unprofessional