Join now - be part of our community!

Future Android TV - Requests and Features

Anonymous
Not applicable

Future Android TV - Requests and Features

Hello all

I thought I would create a spin off thread from the existing Future BRAVIA features requests thread HERE, considering there is a major change in the TVs operating system.

Leaving aside the features that have already been promised by Sony - what suggestions or features would you like to see on these TVs that Sony may be able to develop?

Im going to kick-start this off with mine:

• The ability to roll-back firmware updates.
  • The ability to save my customised settings with the option to re-load them either at my choosing and after a factory reset.
  • The ability to turn OFF my PS4 controller at a set given time of inactivity.
  • A couple of 'blank' buttons on the remote control with an option setting to choose what function or app to load
5 REPLIES 5
adyjay33

The ability to produce a TV that works properly please... 🙂

KD-55X8509C LATEST FIRMWARE
NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!
smashah

Users should have the option to completely uninstall apps they do not use which should free system resources i.e memory and cpu usage ????

maybe, have 2 versions of the firmware ,  simple or full version.   

simple version contains least amount of apps, maybe youtube, netflix and amazon , whilst full versioon contains all apps, games etc..

adyjay33

Thats would be a great idea but has its drawback on having two firmware versions as updating firmware can be and is a dangerous affair which can go wrong leaving you with a "Brick"

You can disable apps in the TV but I cant remember how to get there without being next to it.

How about another alternative?

How about Sony producing a TV that works as promised from the off...?

KD-55X8509C LATEST FIRMWARE
NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!
Caledonian_TV
Contributor

Actually... Rather than producing two versions of the firmware I think they should give users the options of buying a basic set without all this crud...

However the option of loading either a basic Sony or 'experimental' Android operating system - and making that step reversable - might be a way forward. Much better than railroading an unsuspecting public into doing 'beta testing' on something that clearly isn't fit to be sold.

...And yes, you can disable and/or force-stop apps. But many remain and/or simply return at the next reboot. 

smashah

Yes, i think you are right, it might be better to have one simple firmware with the least amount of apps which will ensure the tv works properly without any freezing , reboots etc...   Then give the user the option to download apps such as youview, games etc..  via the app store.    So imagine, someone purchases tv with simple firmware, tv  functions perfectly.  User adds youview or another app  the tv then crashes etc.  The user will thenl need to uninstall that particular app to restore stability of the tv system.   

@Caledonian_TV wrote:

Actually... Rather than producing two versions of the firmware I think they should give users the options of buying a basic set without all this crud...

However the option of loading either a basic Sony or 'experimental' Android operating system - and making that step reversable - might be a way forward. Much better than railroading an unsuspecting public into doing 'beta testing' on something that clearly isn't fit to be sold.

...And yes, you can disable and/or force-stop apps. But many remain and/or simply return at the next reboot.