Join now - be part of our community!

How to protect against smart TV Hacking? KD-55X8505C

profile.country.DK.title
Merlins_Apprentice

How to protect against smart TV Hacking? KD-55X8505C

I've found this article very interesting http://www.techhive.com/article/3008914/smart-tv/android-tv-gets-proof-of-concept-hack-but-dont-pani...

It have left me thinking, what approach have Sony to stop this man-in-the-middle attack from happening? 

Does any of you have a proper guide connecting from a PC to the TV with ADB connect command? what about a powershell tool that can do just that? 

Does any of you use Anti-virus software on you'r android TV's? 

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Just reading the article link:

"Scary as this sounds, keep in mind Wueest’s man-in-the-middle attack couldn’t happen without access to the network path, either by being on the same Wi-Fi network or by hijacking the user’s DNS resolution. In other words, you’d need to either invite an attacker into your house, or have fallen prey to malware already. Furthermore, Android TV verifies downloaded apps and disallows installations from unknown sources by default, adding another layer of protection."

I dont see much to worry about at this stage to be honest.

Cheers

profile.country.DK.title
Merlins_Apprentice

CYBER THREATS AND CYBER CRIMINALS – MORE AND MORE SOPHISTICATED

I'm aware of the way a man-in-the-middle attack works. it is everything what we don't know that's happening behind the curtains i'm mostly worried about. That's why we should take security more seriously and have different kind of protection against it in place on the devises.

My tv turned on by itself many times, and I asked Sony about it and have not gotten any usable answer regarding this matter. 

We allow different kind of android APPS to have access regarding functionality on our devices. How can we tell right or wrong. There are so many online services that could have been potentially hacked and containing some of our personal information.

Can we in that matter trust the TV companies for not implementing stuff that could be a hugh security risk. That's not unheard off.

Im not saying live with a tinfoil hat and stop all online activity, but please let us have some decent software/hardware to protect against the rising cyber criminals out there, and make it harder for them.

Im hoping the next version of Android TV 6.0 Marshmallow will provide more security for us users. 

Caledonian_TV
Contributor

@Merlins_Apprentice wrote:

My tv turned on by itself many times, and I asked Sony about it and have not gotten any usable answer regarding this matter. 

...So did the one I had. 

Thing is, mine wasn't connected to any network, had never been used to access anything 'online' except once (as an experiment) when I tried YouTube - which didn't work.  - After which it was factory reset.  There were no 'phones or tablets or any other communications devices in any way used with it....  But it would still randomly freeze, reboot, and yes occasionally switch itself on for no reason.

I think this is mainly because these sets are what we call in the trade 'broken'.  - Straight out of the box they're plagued with issues. As I've said many times, you cannot sit one down in your living room, plug nothing more than an aerial and the mains into the back of it - and expect it to work properly!

Nothing to do with cyber security... Which, to be honest if you were all that concerned about, would cause you to avoid devices that were so supposedly 'open' altogether!