Join now - be part of our community!

DOLBY ATMOS ? - Yes Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

DOLBY ATMOS ? - Yes Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the news recently some manufacturers (Denon, Onkyo & Pioneer) have hinted at upgrading some of their existing AV/Amplifiers via a firmware update to support Dolby Atmos. Will Sony follow suit and offer this feature to existing customers also?

I for one would love to have this feature added to my STR-DN1040 and no doubt users of the 1050 model also. Having just recently purchased my AV / Receiver the prospect of having to sell it in favour of a Dolby Atmos enabled unit from another manufacturer is not a viable solution, I love my STR-DN1040 and I would hope it will give me many years of pleasure. Now that Dolby Atmos is available though I'm going to feel pretty sick I bought it when I did.

The addition of Dolby Atmos on existing products would also be a great PR exercise and may win back the hearts of those Sony customers who've lost faith in this company recently.

There's an interesting article here which discusses this in more detail together with Model Numbers destined for an upgrade: Onkyo and Denon break cover with Dolby Atmos AV Receivers

Please register your support in this thread if Dolby Atmos is of interest to you, if enough of us show our interest maybe, just maybe Sony will consider this request.

Thank you ! :thumbsup:

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Thanks Quinnicus,

It might have helped if I'd explained what ATMOS was to begin with! I only discovered it myself a few weeks ago after visiting the Dolby website.

Others will have to play catch-up on this one. :slight_smile:

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Im still waiting for Star-Treks "Holodecks"  :grin:

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Maybe you won't have to wait long!!

Star Trek 'holodeck' in the living room?

Hmm, wonder if Sony could add this to my receiver also? It's a big ask I know but you never know. LOL!

turmennan
Explorer

Yes I agree it would be a great firmware upgrade. One of the main reasons I recently bought my home theatre system was that it had Hi Res audio capability and I thought this would make it future proof so the ability to deal with Dolby Atmos would certainly help. Sony could even get in on the act and make some extra profits by designing and selling extension speakers (at a reasonable price) to facilitate the ceiling emanating sounds.

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Here here!

I was beginning to wonder if anyone knew what Dolby Atmos was for a minute, thanks for offering your support. I see this is also a topic which is slowly gathering fans over on the US forums too!

I suspect Sony knew about Dolby Atmos sometime ago but thus far seem to be keeping tight lipped about any updates to existing receivers. I suspect the most likely scenario will be the launch of a new line of receivers aimed solely at AV / Purists which would be a real shame, especially for those customers like ourselves who have only recently bought a Sony receiver. Given the high price tags commanded by the competitors for new Atmos enabled products I doubt there will be a mad rush for existing customers to upgrade anytime soon though if I did I would certainly be looking at the competition.

profile.country.GB.title
pdporter
Explorer

I've got lots of Sony products from RX100mk3 to 50W829 TV, and more, was actually looking at buying the DN1060.  No Atmos support though is likely going to mean I wait a little, and then go elsewhere, which is a shame.  When your going to invest hundreds in creating a half decent set up, you may as well go for one of the latest and greatest.  To be honest, I'm actually beginning to wonder if Sony has one of those business models which only approves work if there is guaranteed revenue out of the back of it as I also saw reluctance wit new Android versions on my Sony smartphone.  It's a real shame as I understand only too well as a CSM, the part that customer satisfaction plays in sustainable growth.  Updating your products is part of it "Sony" so take note.  A statement would earn you some Kudos with some audiophiles, and likely even win you some extra sales, with people waiting for said new firmware before purchasing.  

profile.country.GB.title
pabaker58
Explorer

I'm very intersted on this as well.  Been a long time fan of Sony, but seem to be a bit behind on this sound format. 

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

@pabaker58

You can find out pretty much everything from the above links but the following two articles by What Hi-Fi Magazine are also very useful and certainly help you understand this new technology.

Dolby Atmos: What is it? How can you get it?

Also read about DTS:X

DTS:X: What is it? How can you get it?