Join now - be part of our community!

DVD/CD-Rom stopped working - Help

Luci
Visitor

DVD/CD-Rom stopped working - Help

:cry:
After 2 month of faithfull service my Vaio VGN117A's Cd-Rom/DVD Burner stopped working(Sony DW-U55A; in a Windows XP Home Service Pack2 Environment)
It's still registered in the System as working, i even tried to delete the Driver and reinstalled the driver plus new Driver version-to no awail, if i restart the computer with a Cd-rom inside the drive it seems to stall for a few minutes with a prompt flashing in the upper left corner of a black screen, then Windows starts normally saying no problem with your CDRom-
even to try and reboot with the recovery cd does not work (it does not even start the boot process!)

Hardware or Driver Problem!?

...and how to solve it!

7 REPLIES 7
dabbler
Visitor

Hi, dissapointing to see that nobody has bothered to reply to your post so far, I guess nobody knows anything about this.

Well EXACTLY the same thing happened with me. I bought the A297XP on 22nd December 2004 and after successfully copying around 80 CD's to the hard drive (for IPOD) the drive now just spins this way and that and cannot recognise ANY sort of disc whether CD or DVD. There is no report of a fault with Device Manager etc. Sysytem Recovery disc won't work either..strangely it seems to read that disc and then gets errors towards the end of reading disc 1.

Sony came to pick up the notebook yesterday (04/01/05) and I have my fingers crossed that it will be returned within 5 days as i have to fly out of the country on 12/01/05. I bought it with VAT free form so to reclaim the VAT at heathrow i MUST have it with me.

feederfan
Visitor

Sounds like the laser has burnt out to me....

lightsmokes
Visitor

I have a VGN-A297XP.
A week now i have a problem with cd's. Instead of continuous spinning when i put it in the disk aka. reading, it does a strange sound every 5 seconds as if it has stuck somewhere and nothing happens. It can read dvds yet.

From what i hear from you guys it sounds like there is something wrong with the device from the factory.

Has anybody heard anything from Sony or from a Sony technician?

dabbler
Visitor

Sony have replaced my drive and although I have not really used it much since, it's so far working fine. From what I can gather from other similar threads, there is DEFINITELY a problem with the VAIO 2 Series DVD/CD drives.

I reckon the problem will reoccur.

yakumo
Visitor

Yeah l had my drive replaced 4 months ago but now its reoccurred. This sucks that Sony knows these drives have problems but still replace me with the same model. Now my warranty has expired l need to get it fixed, suprise suprise Sony will be making £££ from me...pffff

Luci
Visitor

Thanks everybody!

Sent the Laptop in and had to wait AGES to get it back-

Customer Service SUCKS!

with a service like that i dont think i will buy sony again!

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Hi Luci

They've probably got 100s of them there due to those poor quality drives