Join now - be part of our community!

Marshmallow Update - 2016 TVs

Anonymous
Not applicable

Marshmallow Update - 2016 TVs

Hello All

Sony has just released the long awaited Marshmallow update for 2016 TVs.  Models are as follows:

• XD70
  • XD75
  • XD80
  • XD83
  • SD80
  • ZD9

The update will automatically be rolled out to your TV, or you can download it from Sonys Support Website - See HERE for instructions.

Further information:

https://sony-eur-eu-en-web--eur.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/66441/

No information as of yet for 2015 Android TVs

Cheers

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh and for people like me who have the XD85 series TV (and other 2016 models) - well we will just have to wait as well :cry:

DarkStreets
Explorer

That's good news for some, but what about the XD85 series? I purchased a 55XD8599 series TV a month ago. I was hoping that it would be updated to Android Marshmallow too. I am really disappointed with the fact that it is not on the list above. Can you tell us if or when we can expect an update? Many thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hiya

As I mentioned above - like you, I also have the XD85 series TV.  But unfortunately we will have to wait.  We will get an update to Marshmallow, but for now its only on those 2016 models listed above - these are the models which had Marshmallow pre-installed from factory (newest models).

Probably like you, I was excited too.  But then scanning for my model series and the reality set it.  It will happen, but unknown when.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

Do you know what fixes and changes it makes? Does it allow 5.1 sound for Amazon?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Honestly, I only know what has been officially announced.  Everything seems 'secret squirrel' on this topic from Sony at this moment.

FW Update - Marshmallow 2016 TVs.jpg

profile.country.GB.title
John_Keats

Please, correct me if I am wrong, but I've thought that 2015 and 2016 models had got the same CPU (some model of MediaTek), so there is no tech. reason to apply the Android 6 only to 2016 models and not for 2015?

profile.country.GB.title
zAndy1uk
Explorer

Disappointing not to see the XD9405 on the list but let's face it marshmallow isn't that much of an upgrade over android 5.1, from what I've seen of Android 6 on the zd9 it's pretty much identical to the android 5 version on the xd9405. What I want to see is an upgrade to android 7 but I guess that'll no doubt be exclusive to next year's models....