Join now - be part of our community!

WH-1000XM3 issues after update to 4.1.1

profile.country.GB.title
GapsOfTheGod

WH-1000XM3 issues after update to 4.1.1

Since updating to firmware version v4.1.1 yesterday, Noise Cancelling potency has decreased noticeably.

Not only that, I can't ask Alexa to play anything on Spotify, and even if I ask for music from Amazon Music, Alexa says "Shuffling tracks by xxx on amazon music", yet nothing actually plays.

In additional to terrible call quality (present prior to v4.1.1) I think these additional issues will push me to return my 1000xm3's for a refund unless they can be resolved.

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.GB.title
JayMan
Explorer

All manufacturers are currently using these tactics. Sony & Bose are slightly underhand with their transparency though. Basically all newly released Noise Cancelling Headphones will be released with a stellar out of box NC performance however this performance is short lived since these headphones are slave to OTA (over the air) updates where manufacturers will incrementally diminish performance slightly with each update. We all hear it yet we are made to feel paranoid of conspiracy by manufacturers. Essentially, the reason you sense a reduction in NC performance is because your new & best noise cancelling headphones “Cannot” be considered “best” forever. They can’t take Noise Cancelling any further than engineering algorithms already dictate. The technology has peaked. By reducing efficiency ‘albeit, slightly manufacturers are able to ready and present a newer & better more efficient upcoming model. In reality the newer model is only more efficient because it is perceptively improved over the previous model which has been deliberately manipulated by “IMHO” the curse of modern technology..Over Air Updates. OTA updates literally allow manufacturers to have complete control over your purchases to the point of realisation that we only in fact effectively “Rent” these devices until manufacturers decide when it goes to ****.

Note, every noise cancelling headphone I have owned that are slave to an App & OTA updates (wireless) have ALL (every one) had their NC efficiency reduced and both my qc25 and qc20 Headphones (No App. No OTA updates) still retain their out of box stellar NC abilities..Go Figure..Updates tend to break more than they fix. If you can live without the extremely minor incentive they are enticing you with..Say NO to the updates folks.

pdurie1
New

Does anyone have the issue that whenever any app is installed the bluetooth disconnects?

Skylark001
Explorer

Very valuable post!  Thank you! 
I have just purchased this model.  4.1.1 is installed on it.  Can I disable updates?