Join now - be part of our community!

Sony SRS-XB20 Bluetooth Speakers

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
brmccar39
Explorer

Sony SRS-XB20 Bluetooth Speakers

Hi, I am trying, unsuccessfully, to pair this speaker with the Ion Air LP Bluetooth turntable.

http://www.ionaudio.com/products/details/airlp

I press the bluetooth button on both devices as specified in the Handbooks, Blue lights blink for the specified 5 minutes, and then Air LP goes out, with no connection being made.

I have been talking to the air LP people who say the two devices are compatible.

Can anyone suggest how to get them to pair, thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
brmccar39
Explorer

The turntable and speakers now pair successfully.

Followed the instructions in the help guide - reset text.

I Think Sony could do more to reference the help guide in the documentation that comes with the speaker. There is a url link in the "getting started" material, but it is too "a page that doesnt exist".

I also have the suspicion that the reason they did not pair out of the box is that the speakers were used in the store to demonstrate the device, and came to me already paired with something else in the shop.  Without access to the help guide, I was limited in knowing what can be done (reset, initialese, force pairing etc).

So the link you gave to the help guide did the trick, thanks 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.GB.title
cass_n
Community Team

Hi @brmccar39 and welcome to the community,

I'm just looking into this for you and will come back to you shortly.

Cheers,

Cass

profile.country.GB.title
cass_n
Community Team

Hi again,

Are there any other Bluetooth devices around that might be causing the pairing to fail (i.e. mobile phones etc)? If so, try removing all other Bluetooth devices and see if that works.

Cheers,

Cass

profile.country.GB.title
brmccar39
Explorer

Hi Cass, thanks for getting back to me.

I took care to remove all other bluetooth devices, but problem remained.

Air Lp People thought the speaker might need its own proprietary app to connect, but there is no mention of this in the speaker documentation. 

They suggested I do a factory reset on the speaker. But again there is no indication of how this can be achieved in the documentation. 

Can you shed any light on the App, or undocumented interventions that the speaker supports (like factory reset)

thanks again

Brian

profile.country.GB.title
cass_n
Community Team

I found this info in the Help Guide on how to initialise the speaker and restore it to factory default settings: http://helpguide.sony.net/speaker/srs-xb20/v1/en/contents/TP0001266520.html Hope this helps.

I think it would be worth getting in touch with Sony Support so they can assist you with this further, details here.

Cheers,

Cass

profile.country.GB.title
brmccar39
Explorer

Hi Cass, thanks for the valuable information.

I will get in touch with the Sony Suppport people.

Brian

profile.country.GB.title
brmccar39
Explorer

The turntable and speakers now pair successfully.

Followed the instructions in the help guide - reset text.

I Think Sony could do more to reference the help guide in the documentation that comes with the speaker. There is a url link in the "getting started" material, but it is too "a page that doesnt exist".

I also have the suspicion that the reason they did not pair out of the box is that the speakers were used in the store to demonstrate the device, and came to me already paired with something else in the shop.  Without access to the help guide, I was limited in knowing what can be done (reset, initialese, force pairing etc).

So the link you gave to the help guide did the trick, thanks 

profile.country.GB.title
cass_n
Community Team

Glad to hear you got it sorted .  Thanks also for the feedback about referencing the Help Guide - I will pass this on.

Cheers,

C

profile.country.GB.title
First_Knight

Hi brmccar39,

I have the same SRS-XB20 speaker. It sounds really good, and excellent value at only £62.00 compared to a 'Bose Soundlink Mini II' portable bluetooth speaker at over £150, which was the only other portable speaker I could find in stock anywhere that I liked the sound of.

I also had a problem with it connecting to any bluetooth device to this speaker. I switched off all my 'devices' except for my old iPhone 5 & my Sony Bravia 4k TV (which you can NOT turn off - unless you unplug it), and it eventually connected - after at least 40 minutes!

I have no idea why it took so long. The speaker & iPhone were right next to each other the whole time. Pethaps my Sony TV Remote which 'uses bluetooth' was interfering with it - they were (& usually are) in the same room.

Perhaps I will try a different room than the TV next time.

Also, does anyone with this speaker know if a user would HAVE to use the 'Sony Music Centre' app for iOS from The App Store, to turn the flashing lights off permanently?

Or, how much longer the battery life might be with these lights off permanently, compared to them flashing when THEY want to, rather than in time with the audio?

Thanks

Blessings & Peace to all

First_Knight

profile.country.GB.title
brmccar39
Explorer

Hi, Cass in his post above gives a link to the help guide.

It describes how to force pairing, and how to swith off the lights. 

http://helpguide.sony.net/speaker/srs-xb20/v1/en/contents/TP0001509303.html

(if all else fails, read the instruction book)