Join now - be part of our community!

Windows 10 for older Vaio PCs (Win-7 and earlier)

siquarm
Explorer

Windows 10 for older Vaio PCs (Win-7 and earlier)

I get it that Sony Support are - in their own words - "... currently testing the performance of Sony products with Windows 10 and will be releasing compatibility information gradually. Visit this page regularly for updates!".

I also understand that Sony stated they will not provide updated drivers for Vaios originally shipped with Windows 7 or earlier.

[Shame on them!]

I have two questions:

1) From the above, I conclude that it will not matter how long I wait for information regarding my VGN-Z5 (with Windows7)  because they will never provide an answer. Is that correct?

2) Eight weeks before release, the Windows 10 compatibility checker in the App from Microsoft told me my PC was not compatible or four reasons. When I ran it again a few weeks later there was just one problem (graphics card) and now the checker reports no problems. Can I conclude that somehow Microsoft and/or other driver providers have applied the fixes to ensure that Windows10 is compatible with my Vaio?

Can I rely on the Microsoft compatibility checker to give an accurate answer?

[Sorry... that was a third question.]

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
guy-san
Explorer

I have the same problem with my VAIO VPLC14M2E using W7.

Is it definitivly impossible in the future?

dumb-user
Explorer

I have a VGN-NW24S (Jan 2010) with W7 and recently a message popped-up from MS that my PC had been checked by Windows and is OK to install W10 - should I trust it - anyone else with this model using W10 successfully?   

rinninja
Explorer

I have VPCEB3E1E (late 2010), upgraded 4 days ago as i also saw win 10 upgrade and that Ms saying everything will work for you, so i upgraded, most of the things are ok. Didnt check everything yet, but for example, browsing works, video works, skype camera mic works,  ediditng video and audio, and some other programs, drivers are working also... the windows removed only 3 programs and saying this 3 will not work so we removing it, ccc-catalyst, wwde bloototh, and mc caffe. Wi Fi is working, heard some other ppl complaining in the forum, so far I dont have problems with Win 10, as most of the stuff m using r OK, did have problems with 3 old apss, but this 3 apps i was using on my 13 years old XP, so they r old programs..

Win 10 with this sony Vaio is booting the system for like 10-20seconds ... with my win 7 it was taking like 2.5 - 3minutes...

10sec to load up the windows after restart? ***** :slight_smile:  thw whole windows is more smooth also...its not heavy like before.

of course i heard 2 other ppl on the same PC model updated and said things are ok so i decided to try it, before that i suggest - recovery media on USB as back up and etc..  also win 10 is giving you 1 months to decide if u want to get back to the old system u had...

dumb-user
Explorer

Thanks rinninja that's re-assuring but I stll hope to hear from anyone with exact same model as mine. Actually I'm doubtful whether W10 will be a big improvement for me because I only use my PC for internet searches, e-mailing, creation of personal documents and storage of a small number of photos - don't use it for gaming, music or video downloads, Skype, Facebook etc.  

rinninja
Explorer

well than i dont thing u ll have problems, make a Recovery USB, Recovery DVDs, make a back upof  yr C:\, than just upgrade and check and tweak everything u see important, and check what others see as important, than if  u r not liking it, just revert back. If any problems acurre, u 'll have recovery and back up. And i know youre PC isnt like mine, but still they are in the same year, so its close (and if everyone think like u waiting for some1 to checked it, no one will until that HERO ARISE, u can be that HERO) :slight_smile: . I also dnt play games, home consoles are better for that.

Cheers

dumb-user
Explorer

Well, sure I'll do full back-up, system image, recovery - not feeling very heroic as yet, will hang around for a while, trawl the Win7 and 10 forums.  

Cheers

saundy1
New

i have several issues with what i believe relationships between Sony Vaio and Windows 10.

My Vaio, which have loved for a few years now is causing me much sadness. I cannot use Windows 10 properly because there are no updated drivers being provided by Sony, Which is a shame for their reputation. So if i want to use Windows 10 it seems that when i come to replace my laptop it will not be with a Sony product.

Bye Sony.