Join now - be part of our community!

VPCEB4E1E TOUCHPAD PROBLEM

profile.country.en_GB.title
nellybloomers
Visitor

VPCEB4E1E TOUCHPAD PROBLEM

The two buttons on the touchpad (mouse) no longer work. 

In the recovery mode my touchpad buttons work so apparently it is not a hardware problem.

I have made sure the touchpad is enabled (vaio control center). 

I have restored the system to a date 1 day earlier than when the problem occured. 

I tried to reinstall the touchpad driver (via a link provided by sony technians) but my computer just informed me that "this software does not work on your operating system"!

I am told that I need to do a full recovery - is that the only way forward or have I missed something?

Grateful for any help.

This laptop is only 7 months old.  It is normally used with a USB mouse but recently I have started using it on my lap without the usb mouse.

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi nellybloomers,

Which Vaio model you own?

What is showing under ‘Mice and other pointing devices’ in Device Manager – eg P/S2 compatible mouse or Pointing device etc?

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
nellybloomers
Visitor

Model:  VPCEB4E1E

Alps Pointing Device.

Microsoft USB Basic Optical Mouse v2.0(IntelliPoint).

Neil.

nellybloomers
Visitor

I have just found out that I can reinstall the driver via vaio care - recover and restore.  I will probably do that tomorrow.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Neil,

Yes give that a try but all looks normal in Device Manager so hopefully the correct drivers are installed. Otherwise try the following.

I have Synaptics pointing device but hopefully the Alps options are similar.

Open Vaio Control Center > Pointing Device > Advanced > Device Settings tab > Settings > click ‘Buttons’ – is there an option there to enable or disable buttons?

Or if you expand the ‘Buttons’ category you should have options available for left and right buttons.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
nellybloomers
Visitor

I will give that a go now.

nellybloomers
Visitor

no option to enable or disenable buttons.

expanded the buttons - options are none, click, auto scroll, double click, easy launcher.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

In that case either try removing the Pointing Device from within Device manage, reboot and let Windows reinstall – then make sure that it is still listed as a pointing device and not a PS/2 compatible mouse. Or try reinstalling the drivers via Vaio Care.

Otherwise possibly another member with an Alps pointing device may know if there are any hidden advanced settings - possibly by rightclicking the icon in the system tray and selecting Device Properties?

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
nellybloomers
Visitor

thanks rich, i will try again tomorrow morning.  regards and thanks again, neil.

Jobeone
New

Hi I am having the same issues with the exact same model. I have tried everything you have said but still no luck! Do you or anyone have any other ideas of how this can be fixed? Thanks