Join now - be part of our community!

Upgrade graphics card

outlando
Visitor

Upgrade graphics card

Hey

I just bought a VGN-A617B, which ships with the ATI Mobility Radeon X600 graphics card. I'm trying to find out if I can upgrade this graphics card to the Mobility X700 or X800 (preferably X800).

I think the X600 is AXIOM compliant, which would theoretically make it swappable, but I don't know about space requirements inside the chassis.

Does anyone know if this is something I could do myself? I have upgraded desktop components before, but never on a laptop.

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hey

I just bought a VGN-A617B, which ships with the ATI Mobility Radeon X600 graphics card. I'm trying to find out if I can upgrade this graphics card to the Mobility X700 or X800 (preferably X800).

I think the X600 is AXIOM compliant, which would theoretically make it swappable, but I don't know about space requirements inside the chassis.

Does anyone know if this is something I could do myself? I have upgraded desktop components before, but never on a laptop.

Hi outlando

Welcome to the Forum, :slight_smile:

Unfortunatly as far as I am aware you can't upgarde your graphics card as they are integrated onto the motherboard and therefore cannot be changed. :slight_frown:

outlando
Visitor

Hey, thanks for getting back to me.

On reading the tech specs of the card on the ATI site, it suggests that AXIOM means that the card isn't soldered to the board. This goes for both the Mobility X600 and Mobility X800.

Of course, I could be mistaken, not knowing anything of laptop innards...

Thanks anyway :smileygrin:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Hi,

When the A series was released they were still soldering the GPU to the motherboard.

outlando
Visitor

Even the new A series? :slight_frown:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

I think so :slight_frown:

William
Visitor

I would think a removeable Graphics Card in a notebook would feature heavily in a Sony advertising campaign.

It will happen one day but I don't think its happened yet :slight_frown:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Yeah we would have been inondated with emails from Sony