Join now - be part of our community!

GRT796: WiFi suddely stopped working

ChrisOfTheOT
Visitor

GRT796: WiFi suddely stopped working

I was using the WiFi today, as usual, when everything suddenly froze on my laptop - I had to crash everything to turn off (hold power key for four seconds). When I turn back on again, I reboot, and on returning to Windows I see that my WiFi connection icon is gone. And not only that but there's no WLAN option in Network Connections.

I tried updating the driver but this froze the computer again - and then it froze on reboot too. (I had to do a System Restore.) :slight_frown: In Device Manager/Network Adapters, there's an exclamation over the LAN-express icon while the 1394 & SiS 900 icons are fine. (Didn't there used to be a WLAN icon too?)

If I connect directly to the router via the CAT5 lead, all is well. If I try to connect via my D-Link bridge (for Xbox & PS2 normally), nothing is detected at all.

This is annoying and quite serious, so if anyone can help, I'd be soooooooooo grateful.

Thanks,

Chris

6 REPLIES 6
ChrisOfTheOT
Visitor

Hmm... Device Manager says that the LAN-express WiFi adapter 'cannot start' and reports and error 'Code 10'. (Also, I'm getting boot problems again, freezing during boot up. I'm going to try disabling the WiFi 802.11 adapter.)

If my WiFi card is now kaput, this brilliant Devolo MicroLink caught my eye (at dabs.com):

Devolo MicroLink dLAN duo Starter Kit

It may be my only opton...

Cheers,

Chris

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I would try: (this is assuming you have a PCMCIA card)

1) Uninstalling the card
2) Remove the card
3) Insert the card once in Windows
4) Install the drivers / utility

Real stab in the dark here Chris, but I hope it works :four_leaf_clover:

Hope all is well - nice to see you on the board

ChrisOfTheOT
Visitor

Hi Kee-Lo - it's nice to hear from you again too. :smileygrin:

Well, I don't have a PCMCIA card, it's internal which is more upsetting (read: "difficult and expensive to cure"!). However, since you mention it, a PCMCIA card would do the job fine and I've just seen one on Amazon for only £8.99 - representing a saving of about £81.00 over what I've just spent! D'oh! (Why didn't I think of that before?)

Anyway, I can send the Devolo stuff back, even though I've not received it yet (I can't cancel the order), so I can get a refund at some point. Then I'll get a cheap PCMCIA WiFi card...

(I seem to remember doing this for my beloved old FX401 too when the modem went down...)

Nice to see you Kee-Lo - I've gotta go now, late for work!

Cheers,

Chris

kee-lo_

Hi Chris

Glad to see you're doing alright (except for the WIFI that is)

They really have an £8 card? Wow might get it for my other laptop just to fiddle around.

Did you try steps 1, 3 and 4?

ChrisOfTheOT
Visitor

I've not tried unistalling & reinstalling the internal WiFi adapter from Device Manager because when I tired to update the driver initially, it caused massive problems - even to booting. In technical computing parlance, it's called "cowardice". :wink:

Still, since everything has gone to pot, WiFi-wise, I may try it again.

As for the Amazon PCMCIA card, it's here. (Actually sold through Amazon by 'Flash Memory'.)

... And I'm sure you'll be glad to hear that I wasn't really late for work - maybe two or three minutes, but the boss was away! :tongue:

Cheers, Kee-Lo,

Chris

kee-lo_

Hehe glad to hear you were able to sneak in :wink:

Yeah I had a look, pretty good price, and C&W are pretty good