Join now - be part of our community!

Sport Multiscreen- still waiting???

profile.country.en_GB.title
AMP501
Visitor

Sport Multiscreen- still waiting???

Hi nickpellow, I have exactly the same problem, i bought my KDL-32W5810 about 9 months ago, and the sportmultiscreen was working fine until about Sept time and then it stopped working, same as you I get the 'please wait' and then nothing.  I have phoned freeview and they have tested the signal (using my postcode) and have confirmed that there is nothing wrong with the signal. I emailed sony, the customer information centre, at the end of sept and they replied that it was either the signal or if it was not, to contact them again in 6 weeks as they were looking at an OAD to resolve the problem, I'm going to contact them today, but don't hold out much hope!

38 REPLIES 38
rabhrab
Visitor

Engineer arrived and said that he had not come across this problem before (which did'nt instill confidence) and would have to take the t.v. away to the service centre. He also asked if he could take my printout of this thread for reference!  His estimate for repair was 3 to 10 days........... still waiting. 

rabhrab
Visitor

Guess what!  The repair people cannot get a new BA board and have returned the t.v. unrepaired.  M&S cannot supply a like for like replacement, so full refund being taken.

The problem I now have is what to buy instead?  I understand 32" t.v.'s with FreeSat built in are not now available, anyone know differently?  Any help appreciated, 

keigraha
Visitor

This is NOT a hardware problem.

I had exactly the same problem and it has eventually been fixed via John Lewis 2 year guarantee. The first repairer they sent (Martin Dawes) had never heard of the problem and proposed to take the TV away for a vague period of "probably a week". I refused to let them take it and complained to John Lewis, especially as I had seen earlier in this thread that software fixes had worked, and replacement boards had worked but sometimes problems had returned (probably when software upgraded automatically).

They sent another repairer (AVS Newcastle) who arrived, knew exactly what they were doing, applied a software fix (they had already contacted Sony to get it / instructions). Note they applied this fix via some interface available only to them, by removing a small panel on the back of the TV, not via the USB port on the side. It looks like this did a reset of sorts, as everything had to be retuned, postcode inserted etc, afterwards.

Hey presto, sports multiscreen and freeview red buttons working again perfectly. Also, software version is the latest as per Sony website, so they have not regressed it to an earlier version.

Why Sony are not publishing this fix / instruction to repairers without prompting is beyond me. Obviously some repairers will be making money from people and companies they do repair work for by replacing main boards unnecessarily (but to be fair, probably in ignorance).

Realistically, it has to be software. How could so many main boards suddenly suffer the same failure? And I can't believe for a second that the main board architecture could not cope with some Freesat / Freeview red button channel / route changes.

So don't give up on the TV, just ask for another repairer who knows what they're doing!

anburli36
Visitor

An update with my TV. The same bunch of repairers that fixed it last time (HiTECH Banbury) Collected the TV and returned it again a week later with ANOTHER mother board replaced.

Sony still insisting to me that it is not a known issue. I spoke to John Lewis and they said that usually they will repair a TV up to 3 times before replacing it, so I am waiting for it to happen one last time before I replace it.

Its a shame, as I really do like the way that it interfaces with my PS3. And the general picture and sound quality, and smart appearance.

Interested to read earlier comments about the software fix, but without mknowing exactly what HITECH attempted I can't be 100% sure that a mother board wanst needed.

Good luck all.

Masherthemash
Visitor

I've just had an engineer call out under John Lewis warranty and the engineer (Peterborough Video Services) updated the firmware to 1.740. They showed me a Sony Bulletin (09tv093) which detailed the fault we are all experiencing. They put what looked like a sony flash stick in the back of the tv which reset the tv and updated the firmware and about 10 mins later everything was up and running. I'm now able to use multiscreen as was before the last update killed it.

Hope this helps to prove that it is a fault Sony are aware of and that it is fixable.

anburli36
Visitor

Thanks Masherthemash

That is just the information I have been trying to find. Hopefully we all can use this when needing a future resolution.

kroma3
Visitor

Hey folks. It's fixed! I just went to http://support.sony-europe.com/tvhc/downloads/downloads.aspx?site=odw_en_GB&f=FW_Bravia1740SA&ch=2&m... noticed that there was new firmware. Downloaded and installed it and.... sports multiscreen works again!!! I'm not sure if there are any other benefits. Enjoy!
Kroma

MaryJane2012
Visitor

Thanks for the heads-up!!

I'd been checking the Sony website religiously for an update but stopped after Wimbledon.

I can confirm that the update has returned sports multiscreen to my KDL-40W5810.

riroger67
Visitor

I've just got back from holiday to find the 1.740SA firmware as an OTA update. Sport multiscreen is back 🙂

(Just as well, as circumstances prevented me getting my set in (for a second time) before the warranty expired...)