Join now - be part of our community!

SMP-N100

profile.country.en_GB.title
thegoodguy
Visitor

SMP-N100

Hi all,

I'm interested in getting an SMP-N100. I have read a lot about it online, but I cannot find definitive answer on whether it also performs as a simple network-drive; i.e. can i access non-media files (stored on any plugged-in drive) using any computer also on the network? For example Word documents, text files etc.

Thanks.

Tags (2)
4 REPLIES 4
Catmambo
Contributor

Hi

Its a media streamer rather than a NAS as it has no inbuilt storage. So it will happily playback media files without any bother, but not sure why you'd want to view word files on the TV? Not sure any streamers have .doc compatibilty.

Thanks

thegoodguy
Visitor

I would use it as a media player, but what I was hoping is that I could use a plugged-in usb drive (as I mentioned) as a shared network drive as well. So would any plugged in drive be visible, and accessible, on the network?

Right now I have a Freecom 450WLAN which does exactly that, but I was hoping to upgrade a bit.

Catmambo
Contributor

Not in the way I think you mean - The SMP is designed to add network functionality to non networked TV's. I think you are looking for a higher spec NAS as opposed to the SMP from what you have described..

thegoodguy
Visitor

Thanks for your help in clarifying. I see what you mean about the SMP adding network functionality to TVs.

My hunt continues ...