Join now - be part of our community!

STR-DN 1080 - Calibration setting not stored

profile.country.DE.title
phil_merge

STR-DN 1080 - Calibration setting not stored

Hi,

After performing the auto speaker calibration and selecting a setting ("Full Flat" for example), this setting is not stored. 

When I switch the receiver off and on again, the speaker calibration setting is ignored, although it still says "Full Flat" in the menu. The sound is as if it was set to "Off".

I need to manually set the setting to "Off" and to "Full flat" to hear the correct speaker calibration.

Thanks for your help!

Phil

193 REPLIES 193
profile.country.GB.title
grolschie
Contributor

What can we gather from Sony's response? I'll try to make an attempt at deciphering this train wreck of customer support:

1. A major fault in a Sony product was confirmed by Sony engineers back in July.

2. Fixing it is definitely not a priority for Sony even though the product is still for sale as a current product and was WhatHiFi's product of the year for 2 years running! (Nope, not a priority for Sony engineers!)

3. Months later it's revealed that for some reason its now up to the customer to request that this be fixed at a higher priority before this can happen. (Seriously?! The customer is the one who requested this be fixed, months ago already!)

4. But Sony don't bother telling the customer of this process until December, and only when the retailer chases it up!

5. The rep hadn't forgotten about this customer, but didn't bother to chase it up this whole time. (I'm guessing sales are the priority.)

Talk about utter contempt for the customer! Or is this ineptitude?

Hopefully this thread (and others like it) will inform people's purchasing decisions this Christmas when people conduct Google searches about Sony products.

Just my $0.02 / personal opinion.

profile.country.GB.title
Beeper85

Yeah, I'm really gutted. Feel like a proper mug for thinking it was getting looked at.

profile.country.GB.title
grolschie
Contributor

I'm not sure about consumer law where you are, but you may have a case to reject the receiver as not being "fit for purpose" having a major fault and it not being remedied in a reasonable time, and return it to your retailer for a full refund regardless of the length or conditions of the manufacturer's warranty. The retailer can then dump the unit back to Sony, and you can buy another brand.

profile.country.GB.title
Beeper85

That's the problem I have though, described above. I got the xf90 and 1080
together as part of a deal, so whilst I could reject I would get a refund
as though the discount I received was off the receiver alone, leaving me
well short of the functions I need.

It begs the question though - would I have got the xf90 had it been for the
discount together? Maybe not. But I can't get a refund for the whole lot.
So the faulty 1080 has caused me a real headache, and I'm really stuck with
it.
profile.country.GB.title
grolschie
Contributor

Maybe the retailer will exchange it for a receiver of similar retail value (an equivalent unit of another brand)? 

profile.country.GB.title
Beeper85

Think it depends on if they can recover the difference from Sony. I
suggested that, but they didn't seem keen.
profile.country.GB.title
grolschie
Contributor

What happens between them and Sony is irrelevant. They may have legal obligations to provide remedy under consumer law. So I wouldn't let them get away with making their problem your problem. 

profile.country.GB.title
grolschie
Contributor

After reading some of this unbelievable thread revealing how Sony handled an issue with the STR-DN1060, I seriously doubt a firmware fix will be forthcoming for the STR-DN1080. I suspect they hope that everyone will move on and forget about it.

profile.country.GB.title
Beeper85

Yeh, I have given in really. My retailer (in the new year) is looking at
sorting something such as refund for my unit (below RRP though as bought in
bundle) and a replacement Denon of similar spec at cost. Still, going to be
out of pocket at the end of the process!
profile.country.GB.title
grolschie
Contributor

Hopefully they return your unit to the rep, rather than flog it off cheap. The good news is that it seems you'll be rid of the Sony, its calibration setting bug, and also its slow as molasses UI and source switching!