Join now - be part of our community!

STR-DN 1080 - Calibration setting not stored

profile.country.DE.title
phil_merge

STR-DN 1080 - Calibration setting not stored

Hi,

After performing the auto speaker calibration and selecting a setting ("Full Flat" for example), this setting is not stored. 

When I switch the receiver off and on again, the speaker calibration setting is ignored, although it still says "Full Flat" in the menu. The sound is as if it was set to "Off".

I need to manually set the setting to "Off" and to "Full flat" to hear the correct speaker calibration.

Thanks for your help!

Phil

193 REPLIES 193
profile.country.GB.title
Beeper85

Yup. Cynically I think Sony just hope everyone gets fatigued with the
issues...
profile.country.GB.title
grolschie
Contributor

I hear ya.

As I already mentioned, mine and some other people's receivers use way more power than the advertised specification when in Network Standby. In my case over 20x what the specs say! And their solution was to simply remove the "1.5w" specification from the website after the fact. And no response from support for 3 months now. I guess that was a lot easier than actually fixing the issue, eh?

So I too am cynical when it comes to the calibration setting problem getting a fix.

profile.country.GB.title
allanp81

Unfortunately it seems that Sony are turning into one of those companies that once they have your money they stop caring. Based on my experience with this amp I doubt I would ever buy a Sony model again unless they actually acknowledge and attempt to fix the issues.

My new issue that I see other complaining about is how the amp brings up the Home menu for no obvious reason when it's powered on via CEC. It's intermittent as well which makes it even more of a nuisance!

profile.country.GB.title
grolschie
Contributor

I hear you. After 3 months of no reply on my support ticket for high power consumption on Network Standby (20x the advertised 1.5w), all Sony have done is silently remove the advertised 1.5w from their website. The last I heard before the 3 months of silence was that Sony engineers were looking into the issue. When I chased this up, Sony Support started asking me the same basic troubleshooting questions script from the very beginning. And now silence again...

By the way, the Home screen appearing when CEC is enabled has been an issue for 2 years. The standard advice on other forums is to disable CEC and buy a Logitech Harmony remote. Too bad that CEC is a handy feature and is required if you want to use HDMI ARC. If ARC is need, then leaving CEC enabled and programming a Harmony Remote routine may help. But Sony have had 2 years to fix this software issue.

There was no replacement for the STR-DN1080 last year, and even though it was WhatHiFi's product of the year for 2 years running, it appears that Sony have abandoned it... and the AV Receiver market perhaps.

Sony's "support" certainly leaves a bad taste in this consumer's mouth. The one exception being my local telephone support for an unrelated issue earlier on - they were very good.

profile.country.GB.title
grolschie
Contributor

@Beeper85 any news please from Sony tech support?

profile.country.GB.title
Beeper85

I'll give you one guess...

Nope.

profile.country.GB.title
grolschie
Contributor

Thanks. Absolutely unbelievable!

They should've swapped your unit for a brand new one at the very minimum.

A major fault that cannot be fixed is grounds for a refund by the retailer under consumer law in some countries. Room correction is a major selling point with AVRs. If it is not working, that's a major defect making the AVR "not fit for purpose".

It's not like they haven't had the time to fix it. This thread was started in May 2018!! It's now December 2019!!

profile.country.GB.title
Beeper85

It has certainly been an unacceptable amount of time...

I was, and am, stuck between a rock and a hard place.

When I got the receiver I got it at a discount (as was purchasing some other equipment at the time).  So the retailer could offer a refund of the amount I paid, but I would be well short of the Denon I would replace it with (and this is what I wanted to do!).  Financially, I couldn't justify it.

Another unit tested by the shop had the same issue, so swapping (and the pain of rewiring everything up etc) would be pointless.

Incredibly frustrated by the whole process.  Especially given the stellar reviews of the receiver from various outlets; I feel well and truly duped.  And the ridiculous process to even get the fault recognised (here and elsewhere).  I haven't actually ever had any acknowledgement from Sony (just given the runaround everytime!) and only get messages via my retailer (I will email them now actually).   

Not been pleasant.

@dutchice  - do you have / can you get any inside info re firmware upgrades?

profile.country.GB.title
Beeper85

My retailer chased this up for me...

More from Sony. The response from the rep is as follows:

“I’m really sorry that it’s taken so long. I haven’t forgotten it and asked the engineers about it again. They said to push this up the priority list, an official complaint/request to service has to be made from your end. I know that’s not ideal and they should’ve told me that back in July as now nothing has happened. “

So in reality we are no further along.

profile.country.GB.title
grolschie
Contributor

Wow, this is totally unbelievable! Thanks the update.

No response from @dutchice, I see.