Join now - be part of our community!

no DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1ch

profile.country.GB.title
emcfluff1982
New

no DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1ch

I bought a few blu rays to play on my Sony BDP-S1700 and Sony BDP-S3500. Most of the audio on the blu rays work fine, but, I've noticed that there is no audio for the DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1ch on any of the blu rays. In some cases i can change the audio to 5.1 or 2.0 but in some blu rays the only way to get audio for the movie is to use the audio description feature and it is pretty annoying to watch films with audio description on. One of my blu rays doesn't have any other english audio than the DTS-HD master audio 7.1 and i'm really desperate to watch it.

I was wondering if there is something that can be done so i can watch the movies without having to listen to the audio description? My tv is a Sharp 49 Inch LC-49CUG8462KS 4k UHD LED Smart TV With Freeview HD and i occassionally connect it to my Sony HT-CT80 soundbar and subwoofer thru the optical cable. I have the blu ray player connected with a high speed hdmi cable to my tv.

The audio settings on my blu ray player are as follows

Digital Audio Output - Auto

DSD Output Mode - Auto

BD Audio MIX Setting - On

Dolby D Compatible Output - On

Audio DRC - On

Downmix - Stereo

Both TV and blu ray players are up to date. I also might contact Sharp in case its to do with the tv and not the blu ray player but i'll see if i can get help here first. Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Your HT-CT80 is the problem link.  It is a 2.1 channel soundbar.  As you know, it has no HDMI inputs (or outputs) and connects to your TV via optical link.

Optical (TOSLINK/SPDIF) cannot handle higher res audio like DTS-HDMA etc - see HERE for more of an explanation.

In the sound menu of your TV, try setting 'Digital Audio Out' to 'PCM' as per page 21 of the manual attached to this post.  It should output 2.0 audio.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
emcfluff1982
New

Hi, thanks for the help but even if i play the movies through my tv without the soundbar attached i still get no audio for the film. So i have changed the setting in the tv audio settings to pcm but still no audio for DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1ch - i'm guessing i'm not able to watch films with that audio type then 😞 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

See page 20 of you TV manual - the PDF I attached in my previous post.  You need to change a setting on your TV.  You need to set 'DTS Surround Sound' to ON.

It is impossible to get DTS-HD or DTS-HDMA on your TV.  However the makeup of the DTS audio codec is that its 'layered'  - see attached.  It will include a 'core' (i.e. DTS Surround/2.0) therefore audio should still work, even if the Bluray is encoded as DTS-HD (as it must include this 'core').

Cheers

Bobby.10
New

Not very good at this technology things, but I cannot achieve the aim of trying to copy a programme from the television to my hard drive, the television switches over to channel to copy and cant watch the rest of the programme.   Robert

Bobby.10
New

Robert