Join now - be part of our community!

HDD Recorder with Blue Ray disc Recorder/Player

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
doverrog
Explorer

HDD Recorder with Blue Ray disc Recorder/Player

I currently have a Sony HDD recorder with a dvd disc recorder/player in one unit. the RDR HXD 710.

Although it's reasonable it has it's faults such as periodice freezing and locking up.

I'm thinking of moving on to a similar machine but with Blue Ray as the disc player/recorder.

It seems Panasonic is the only manufacturer to have one available.

Do Sony have plans for one and if so when and at what sort of price?

Tags (1)
13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

Interesting :thinking:

My model is the DMR-BWT720 and as I have said it works okay with other brands of disc. I have never actually bought Panasonic discs !

Please let us know the outcome of your discussions with Panasonic. I wouldn't have thought the machine was clever enough to determine the disc branding unless Panasonic have applied a code of sorts ? Shame if it is true.

Regards

If it ain't broke don't fix it
profile.country.GB.title
jomcewe31
New

Most certainly, I will report back. I think it may be more than a "shame" - it could be regarded as unlawful.

profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

Hi jomcewe31,

How did you get on with Panasonic ? I thought this would be a simple yes or no answer regarding the use of Panasonic discs only.

I have read the user manual for your model and it explains what type of discs are compatible with the recorder but nowhere does it state that one must use Panasonic discs only.

What make of discs are you using ? Have you tried formatting the discs on first use ? Have you proved that the recorder will work with a Panasonic disc because if that doesn't work then perhaps there is a fault on your unit. I take it that the unit will play back any pre-recorded disc type without issue ?

I have read several reviews both professional and customer based see here and here and I cannot find any mention of this issue. I have also read the product information on Panasonic UK. There are some customer reviews on Amazon and there is only one reference to this issue.

In my humble opinion I suspect that there is something wrong with your unit, as you rightly say, it would be unlawful for Panasonic to force the use of their discs only. It must be tempting however seeing as they are the only company to supply a Blu-ray recorder of this type in the UK - they hold the monopoly after all

I am interested in your findings as one day I will be in the market for an upgrade, possibly to the model you have.  

Regards

If it ain't broke don't fix it
profile.country.GB.title
jomcewe31
New

I am still in discussion with Panasonic and have elevated the issue to the UK CEO as I was getting nowhere with their support staff. I agree that, according to the manual there should not be an issue here, but I can only go on what I and others are experiencing. It is not possible to format the non-Panasonic discs as the machine identifies them as "incompatible" right away. I have tried BD-R discs from TDK, Acu-disc and Infomedia - all of them being treated as "incompatible" by my recorder. I have now heard from others.

As soon as I have a resolution with Panasonic on this I will report back here.

Thanks for taking an interest.