Join now - be part of our community!

BDP-S6500 newest firmware crashes player

SOLVED
tony711
Explorer

BDP-S6500 newest firmware crashes player

Hi,

I recently updated the firmware on my Sony BDP-S6500 to the most recent version.  Now one of my Blu-rays which worked before the update completely crashes the player.  It's the UK Blu-Ray of Legend starring Tom Hardy by Studio Canal.  I've tried it 4 times now and it crashes the player just before a Dolby Atmos advert plays before the main menu.  The player is then completely unresponsive and has to be unplugged to get it to work again.  Other discs I've tried still work ok after the update.

However, the Legend Blu-ray still plays fine on my second BDP-S6500 that I haven't updated to the most recent firmware yet so it's definitely the firmware update that's the problem.

Is there a way to let Sony know about this and fix the issue?  I hope there aren't more discs affected this way. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
tony711
Explorer

Hi, I actually managed to fix the issue and the disc now plays fine!  All you need to do is plug a USB stick in the front, the player obviously needed more memory to load certain discs after the new firmware update.  Not sure if any size will do but I have a 32GB one plugged in.  I'm sure a much smaller size would work too though, maybe just 1GB would work fine.  Anyway, at least it fixes the problem :slight_smile:

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
brucechristie
Explorer

I have the same player, that disk does exactly as you mentioned in your post. hopefully there is a fix for this issue

tony711
Explorer

Hi, I actually managed to fix the issue and the disc now plays fine!  All you need to do is plug a USB stick in the front, the player obviously needed more memory to load certain discs after the new firmware update.  Not sure if any size will do but I have a 32GB one plugged in.  I'm sure a much smaller size would work too though, maybe just 1GB would work fine.  Anyway, at least it fixes the problem :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
brucechristie
Explorer

Thanks Tony711, just tried with a 4gb stick & works fine.

tony711
Explorer

That's great, glad it worked!