Join now - be part of our community!

Sony X850C 4K - Do NOT Purchase

letonge53
Explorer

Sony X850C 4K - Do NOT Purchase

Firstly, I'm disgusted at Sony.  Purchased the above TV when it was first released a few months back.  After originally buying due to their promise of "YouView", "USB Recordings" and more, I quickly realised, these weren't going to materialise any time soon.

However, over the past few days, I've been trying to play around with the TV more and NOTHING works as it should.

1) I insert a USB drive to try and view videos via Kodi.  Say's USB detected but doesn't pick up any files

2) Using freeview / freesat for TV (rather than a PVR); the picture looks fine, but the sound cuts out intermittently at random points.  

3) Using Plex to watch films via home network has extremely poor performance.  I previously used Plex via XBOX One and it worked flawlessly each time.  Via the TV Plex App, it's jerky and stuttering constantly - again, unusable!

4) The list could go on (apps crashing, the TV needing constant restarts etc).

I paid around £1500 for this a few months back...it's now for sale at Currys for £1000!  I'm sick of this TV.  One of the worst purchases (and largest) I've ever made and I wish I had gone with a different make!

Does anyone here have similar experiences of this TV?

I'm also reporting Sony to Trading Standards for misselling a product with claims that haven't been met and have contacted BBC's Watchdog who have shown interest in my story.

8 REPLIES 8
Kevwoods12

I sort of feel your pain.  

Why don't you see what September 29th brings. 

Twobins

It really is ridiculous and the silence from Sony is deafening. You would think you would be able to return the TV as it is not what was advertised when you bought it. I had the same issues as you with my 43k, and it has now been returned to John Lewis.Held on to it for three months in the hope Sony would sort it out, but they didn't even acknowledge there was a problem with it.

Triswillmott

I have similar experiences and then some. 

Admittedly I've not made much use of the built in tuners and apps (mainly because they're all way too buggy) but I've had the tomb little over a month now and it's possibly the worst thing I've ever owned.

i called Sony over a week ago now to report a clicking coming from the back case. They said it could be a faulty power supply and could potentially be dangerous so stop using the tv and an engineer wil contact to make a visit. Over a week later, I've called them every day and still nobody has called me to arrange this visit. Don't even want the tv in my house at this point.

the set I got has really bad dirty screen effect. When gaming or watching content and the camera pans across the skyline, instead of seeing a nice bright blue sky, I see pixelated dirty looking blue and sometimes seperation between different gradients of blue. 

When switching from one input to another, the tv seems to forget pictures settings for the new input and change them to the picture settings of the input I've just switched from.

action menu now refuses to work, have to go back to home screen to adjust picture settings which is annoying and long winded.

the tv needs rebooting pretty much daily. Try loading YouTube or any of the Google store apps and it says no network until the tv is rebooted. This is annoying because I can connect and watch Netflix on the tv just fine.

sometimes the tv has network connection but displays an ! Next to it and refuses to connect to anything until rebooted.

the game store is a waste of time because the tv just isn't powerful enough to run the games you can download. 

The tv is a far cry from what I was promised when purchasing it, it sounded like it was going to be an incredible experience that would be improving all the time with updates. Sadly this is not the case and I'm regretting my purchase. 

If watchdogs or trading standards do run with this then count me in because I'm a very unhappy customer right now with a tv I've been told not to use because it dangerous. 

RogueTrooper904
Explorer

I have just purchased this TV and the TV recording was important to me so I can bin my old digi box, but I cannot now. I have spoken to Sony and they do not care this is not working and they feel this is not an important feature in this TV and in no hurry to try and fix this.

I would have expected Sony to put some sort of responce on this forum giving some sort explanation.....

I will be going back to PC world and discussing my options with them and if possible getting my money back.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

I understand your feelings, what is hard for me to understand is why, if it is so important for you, you landed on this forum only after having bought the TV. It's not a secret which features are not still available on the Sony android tv
letonge53
Explorer

After I reported Sony to Watchdog, I got a phone call from someone in their "Escalations department" (or something along those lines.  

She said they're aware of the issues surrounding the problems with the software and although there is a planned firmware update for the 28th / 29th, it could be delayed by a few more weeks due to the amounts of complaints they've been reading via this messageboard.

I told her that I think it's a joke we've waited so long and she was very apologetic...but then that's her job.  She also said that rather than keep releasing lots of little updates, all their Engineers are trying to release one large update which covers everything mentioned in these 125+ posts.

Let's hope they stick to their original date of the 29th, however, taking what she said, I'm guessing it's going to be middle / late October before anything happens.

gianlu_1981
Explorer

Hi...i add two other main important problem of this TV that i have seen:

1) The tv does not show the ultra hd video by satellitare, but only via hdmi. Through the usb port goes very very slow and the video is impossible to see!

2) Yesterday the tv becomes fully green, audio was ok but the screen was fully green, also if there was the tv video but all in green. I have solved by removing the power of the tv for 60 seconds...doing the "power reset". Now the tv works quite fine, but i'm however perplexed and doubtful of these problems!!!

3) to watch the video via usb it makes about 15 min to read the content of the video in the hard disk...it's impossible to wait so much! My other tv samsung it takes only 5 seconds to see the video content!!!

I think that the characteristics of this TV are not adequate for the price so high for this TV...1550 euro!!!

profile.country.GB.title
rsebre

Has anybody actually figured out how get get auto display area off and full pixel with -1?

i still cant figure out how to view my pc fully in 4K without losing the start button because i cant adjust the -1

please share if you know, what has to be on, and what has to be off

im fine on the pc end too, just not full screen as i cant adjust the -1

kind regards

richard