Join now - be part of our community!

KD48A9 recordings have black frames

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
GreatBoo

KD48A9 recordings have black frames

Recording freeview HD channels to a 1 month old 1TB WD Elements Portable USB drive, on playback there are multiple black frames displayed and occasional audio glitches during playback. This does not happen when watching the same freeview channel live.
The menu tells me the software is up to date.
I assume Sony are going to release a fix for this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
GreatBoo

With today's PKG6.4960.0628EUA software so far I've watched 1 hour of playback with no black frames - it appears that Sony have fixed the black frames bug! Halleluyah!
But it also appears to have introduced a new bug - I'm having trouble getting it to record live or record a programme which has already started...

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@GreatBoo 

How are you powering the drive?

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
GreatBoo

The drive is powered the only way possible, via the USB3 socket on the KD48A9 dedicated to the recording drive.
The drive is a fairly standard WD passport drive, model WDBUZG0010BBK-WESN.
https://shop.westerndigital.com/en-gb/products/portable-drives/wd-elements-portable-usb-3-0-hdd#WDBU...
The drive only has one connection socket, and is USB 2 & 3 compatible so I assume it only requires 500mA or less specified by USB2 standard, and I assume the KD48A9 can output 900mA specified by the USB 3 standard, so there should be no issues over power.

profile.country.GB.title
Mrhappy37

This is a problem many are experiencing. It was absolutely fine with android 7 but started with android 8, and has been an issue ever since. I find its mainly hd channels that do it. Another problem is that sometimes series link recordings just cancel for no apparent reason and sometimes when recording a programme that is split for the news etc the recording sometimes misses the second half. All very frustrating and been waiting over a year hoping for a fix.

profile.country.GB.title
GreatBoo

You're kidding, I just paid £1799 for a top of the range TV which uses an operating system with a major bug outstanding for over a year!?
Are there any work-arounds?

profile.country.GB.title
Mrhappy37

Not that I’ve found or read about. I complained to sony and got the “do a reset” reply, which I did a full reset and it made no difference.

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

I wonder if it would be worth while trying a much lower specced USB2 drive, even an oldie if you have one lying around. The requirements for recording are not strict and I've used old drives without issue (although not on this model).  USB3 drives can be a bit fussy on supporting hardware and drivers. 

If you run into issues reusing a drive that has been formatted by the TV then this might help:

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/how-to-recover-usb-drive-that-was-used-for-hdd-recording-... 

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

You cannot assume about power consumption....1TB hdd probably get more than 1A check better its specification. If you want to be on the safe side don't go over 500gb drive or use one with it's own power

profile.country.GB.title
Mrhappy37

I tried 3 different hard drives and even tried an SSD but got the same result on both my XF tvs.

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

Spoiler
That doesn't sound promising then. If this is becoming a known issue then it needs escalating to a level above the 'first line support' that would normally be involved.

Although you may not be keen on this I have found in the past that a politely worded message on Twitter to Sony UK might possibly get you a response. Be concise. Make it clear it is not an isolated issue.

Good luck anyhow 🙂