Join now - be part of our community!

Freeview/Freesat

Freeview/Freesat

We are moving home soon. Our current set up is an Android Bravia KD-43XG3805 with a humax HD box connected via a satellite dish. Our new home has a digital ariel and we don't want a satellite dish. Can anyone help with the options? I don't think the humax will work without a satellite signal. 

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@rev.georgiou 

There is no such thing as a digital aerial; as far as the aerial is concerned, the channels are the same old 21 to 50-odd that we had in the analogue days, except that a few above 55 have been given to 4G/5G instead, and no longer carry any TV signals.

This does however have a bearing on what band the aerial should be.

Are you moving to a house that isn’t a new-build, such that you are taking over the aerial from the current owners? And when you say Humax HD box, is this a Freesat box? I think it must be, but there are Freeview and YouView Humax HD boxes as well, so a model number would help us help you.

There are three reasons for having a Freesat box; one is that some homes can’t get Freeview at all, which I don’t think applies here. The second is that the area is on a ‘Freeview Lite’ (relay) transmitter, which gets only about 40-odd of the 120-odd channels that full Freeview provides, and you need Freesat for the rest. The third reason is that you want one or more of those few channels that are on Freesat, but not on Freeview.

Which is it in your case now, and which would it be in the new property?

Or is it that the Freesat box is the only recording box you have?

In which case, there are Freeview/YouView ones you can get that work off the aerial.

A final option, if you aren’t worried about recording, is to stream everything, maybe on your TV or on a streaming stick, but seamless switching from ‘channel’ to ‘channel’ isn’t quite there yet.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey rev.georgiou, digital aerial won't get you satellite channels. Contact Humax to know the best setup.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

Hey @rev.georgiou are you even still there?

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

@ royabrown2  I think that means his issue has been resolved. :grin:

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@HannahEd01 

Oh, I would love to believe that in these cases 😛

But you would think that a man of the cloth, at least, would have the courtesy to let us know that, wouldn’t you?

https://community.youview.com/youview/discussion/7604151/the-drive-by-poster-with-acknowledgements-t...

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

@ royabrown2 what did I just read? :grin: :grin: :grin: