Join now - be part of our community!

Connected, no internet

profile.country.GB.title
Serbski
Explorer

Connected, no internet

Hi all,

Hope someone can help me. Since the last update I have to reboot my TV every time it's been in standby because the internet won't work (wired). I have removed all WiFi accounts and turned off WiFi altogether. If I reboot the TV it works but when I come to use the TV again it just sits there and says 'checking' (IP address). I have also rebooted my modem.

Anyone have an idea on what's gone wrong?  Cheers.

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi Serbski,

Welcome to the Sony Community. If I understand you well, your TV is connected through Wi-Fi, correct? Fixing Wi-Fi problems can be extremely difficult, since there are so many factors that can affect the transmission of the signal at the transmitter, receiver or anywhere in between.

If you know the model and brand of your wireless router you could search to see how to perform a RESET on the device. This should force the software on the router to rescan all channels and choose a new and less busy channel to use. Chances are that that might resolve your problem.

Cheers,

Dutchice

profile.country.FI.title
Tziisus2
Explorer

Hi, 

I am having a same kind of problem. My TV is KD49-XE7096 and program version is v.8673-1000-1.280-0000. TV is connected to a modem with a cable. Internet connection works fine after I unplug the main power wire off the wall. (and replug). But after standby-mode or even if you just shut down the youtube-app the connection is lost. So I have to replug the main power every time I want to use Netflix or YouTube. It's rather annoying. The status checking (when not working) says that wired connection is OK, but there's a error in local connection and in internet connection. Why is that? I would appreciate any help.

Tziisus

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi Tziisus2,

Welcome to the Sony Community too! I am not sure if your problem is the same as Serbski, since you are using a Wired LAN connection. But you could try to check if under [HOME] > [Settings] > [Date & Time] the option of 'Automatic from boradcast time' is enabled.

Cheers,

Dutchice

profile.country.FI.title
Tziisus2
Explorer

Thank you for message. 

I understood that Serbski also has a wired connection problem.

Anyway, the clock was set to automatic. I also tried the manual setting. There was no difference. Internet connection only lasts still standby. It comes back after replugging the main power of the TV or resetting the modem. It's strange cause it worked fine when I bought it and I haven't ghanged any settings of the TV or the modem. Guess I'll have to try the wifi connection. 

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

How long is the LAN cable you are using and how long is the current default Lease Time on the router for LAN clients?

profile.country.GB.title
Serbski
Explorer

Yeah it's a wired problem. The WiFi is fine. It happens after it's been off for a while. If I reboot the TV it works until I come to use it again. This started happening after the last update. Should I try a factory reset? Nothing wrong with modwm. TV is a KDL-43W805C. Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Oh I see. Sorry for understanding you wrong. You didn’t mention a wired connection on your OP. How about if you first check the time and date setting as I mentioned already. Also if you can answer the 2 previous questions it might help further.
profile.country.GB.title
Serbski
Explorer

I have tried different wires and checked the modem. The date and time is set to broadcast time. How do I factory rest the TV. I'm hoping when it updates to the latest build it will resolve the issue.

profile.country.FI.title
Tziisus2
Explorer

Hi, 

It is not a cable problem. TV finds the cable and a set-top-box connected to a another Lan-port works perfectly with both ethernet cables.

I'm not sure what you mean by the lease time, I m not so much into computers, but I couldn't find such a setting. All the hosts are static. The modem's setting-page shows the icon when the TV is connected to internet and when not, it don't find the TV at all.

Tziisus