Join now - be part of our community!

Dolby digital and DTS audio in Plex app

panchonin
Explorer

Dolby digital and DTS audio in Plex app

Hi,

i'm trying to reproduce movies in the plex with Dolby digital or DTS audio, but the sound is always in PCM. 

I put the audio setting en auto 1 or auto 2, but the sound doesn't change to 5.1.

My tv is a xd9305 with android 6.0, recently updated and after factory reset. And with a AV connected with SPDIF.

How i can enable the 5.1 sound?

thank you.

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
chrisc383

In my case (same TV set) I had to set force passthrough in the client settings. That enables Dolby Digital, however it is NOT working with any DTS sound. I tried for quite some time and I gave up.

The only way to play material with DTS is SPMC for me.

I'm using HDMI ARC, but it should be the same with SPDIF.

panchonin
Explorer

thank you.

How i can force passthrough in the client settings?

DTS audio works with kodi 17, with this build:

http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/android/arm/kodi-20170211-65f53d0-*****ty-armeabi-v7a.apk

profile.country.GB.title
chrisc383

I can't check it now, but I think it was something in settings in Plex app on TV, options, first "direct play" to ON or Force, then Passthrough ON or Auto.

I can check it in detail at evening when I'll be home.

profile.country.GB.title
chrisc383

Right, so my settings are (Advanced):

Direct play ON

Direct stream ON

Passthrough Auto

AVR is Denon X4300, I get pretty much all Dolby Digital, but not DTS - and if it is possible, I don't really know how to set it up.

panchonin
Explorer

tahnk you.

i tried it, but at first the AV recognizes dolby audio, but instantly the audio come bakc to PCM.

i don't know what is the problem, kodi and android video plays the sound properly.

profile.country.IT.title
Snakuzzo

has anyone solved ?

Now I’ve same prolem on XF series

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi Snakuzzo,

In most if not all cases you are better off using the built-in Video player by Sony. It not only will deliver true stutter and jitter free picture quality but also will decode DD and DTS both correctly. If you have setup your PLEX server properly you should see the name of your PLEX server under DEVICES when opening the built-in Video player app. From there you have access to your full PLEX library.

However there are the group of users that have the priority for a fancy user interface rather than the sake of enjoying a good movie hassle free. These will always prefer to use either the PLEX or Kodi app for Android TV. Both of these apps, always will transcode a native DTS format to DD in order to output multi-channel formats.

So all options are out there, the choice comes down purely to your preference.

Cheers,

Dutchice

profile.country.IT.title
Snakuzzo

Ok. Thank you.

I will try with Sony player