Join now - be part of our community!

BUG: Android 6.0.1 reboots after enabling VPN apps

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

BUG: Android 6.0.1 reboots after enabling VPN apps

I have installed via USB and tested Block This (open source) and Adguard (not together. One per time) on my KD49XD8099 with Android 6.0.1 and they simply worked great! No more annoying ads (yes, I know. Companies don't like it, especially Google, but they are perfectly legal. Also we are allowed by Android itself to install whatever we like).

The only problem is that after turning the TV off (standby) few hours, when I turn it on the television starts rebooting. Uninstalling them the television (and rebooting just in case) Android becomes "stable" again (quoted because I've got reboots even without tampering with special apps). The apps were set to enable the VPN at boot. Not that it should matter, since the reboot happens just putting the tv in standby.

Now, I do understand that an external app, not made specifically for Android TV may not work (but as I wrote they actually do the job they are made for), but if the television/Android reboots there is a (very critical) issue with the OS, not the app. To test the issue the developers just need to install the apps mentioned (again, enabling the VPN at boot).

148 REPLIES 148
probie101
Explorer

Got my X8500D doing the same after I've installed ExpressVPN. Watching TV for 30mins it rebooted itself & also reboot if I switch on my airconditioner or the light on my stove. Only started after two OS update. Current version is 7.0. Seems like I'm not the only one. Sony replaced main board last week & still doinbg the same. Some resolution would be great. I'd would think apps from Google Play Store are all tested for compatibility.

gjscott
New

My Bravia on Andriod 7.0 only exhibits this issue when Nord VPN auto connect is used. 

R_Galin
Explorer

I have exactly the same problem. Do you know if there is any solution for this issue?

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

No solution except for disconnecting VPN before you go into standby.

profile.country.IT.title
Luigi_R

I even wrote an email to Mediatek but I did not get any reply. There is no direct line to contact Sony and I have been wasting my time reporting problems via this forum for nothing. Sony gives priority on stupid service/app without caring about usability of their products.

The coming release of ExpressVPN has a feature to activate the VPN on boot and this make the TV going in a loop restart/crash and then it becomes a race against time to deactivate it without making an hard reset of your TV.

This post has almost two years and if this is the service reserved to their client I will not buy Sony products anymore. I have also opted for a different brand when I bought my new smartphone.

profile.country.GB.title
BotRaidUK
New

I have exactly the same problem and only see one solution: Sony has to fix this!

Althought they‘re probably going to ignore it, I sent them an email. Hope they help us...

My english isn‘t as good as a native english speaker, but I did my best.

If a sony employee is reading this, please change something!

Here’s what I wrote:

— please forward this to the development team regarding Sony Televisons —

Dear Sony

I really like Sony TVs, especially combined with the power of Android TV.

But as much as I like them, they have a huge flaw and discomfort when using them.

What‘s the flaw?

It is having a completely bad and buggy experience when using VPN services. The problem is following. 

When you turn on VPN on any currently available Sony TV with Android TV, go into standby mode and turn on again the whole OS crashes. 

This leads to a reboot and takes about two to three minutes, every time.

So you might argue that Sony is not responsible for this issue, the problem is the VPN app, but it does not matter which app you try, you‘ll always get the annoying crash followed by a reboot. 

This behavior only happens on Sony TVs. 

No other Android TV capable television.

If you want more proof of the seriousness of this topic take a look at following thread: 

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/bug-android-6-0-1-reboots-after-enabling-vpn-apps/td-p/22...

This bug is a serious issue concerning one of the most discussed topics in the 21st century: privacy

By using VPN services you can protect yourself, but not when using Sony TVs.

Do I seriously have to sell my Sony TV and get one from a different company to get my privacy?

This user experience is terrible and should be fixed in a software update in the near future. This makes the Sony TV feel unfinished and buggy.

I hope Sony understands this issue regarding privacy and changes something.

This is not difficult to fix, but it makes a huge impact on the user experience.

Thank you for your understanding!

I‘m looking forward to getting a reply and a software update.

Best Regards

profile.country.AE.title
heapcooldudez
Explorer

Guess what! I took a A9F 75 inch Android TV and use ExpressVPN and whenever i

loose the internet connection and switch off the TV and reboot, the stupid box restarts automatically.  This message is for aspiring buyers, please stay away from this.  What’s surprising is ExpressVPN is one of the top grossing apps on the Play Store and still Sony hasn’t released a fix to the bug.  

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

So MediaTek‘s 4th generation Android TV chipset still suffers from the very same bugs.

profile.country.GB.title
BotRaidUK
New

Good news, Sony answered:

Dear Mr. CENSORED,

Thank you for contacting Sony support.

With reference to your enquiry regarding our Android TV connectivity to a VPN network, we do apologise for the unintended inconvenience, we can confirm that we have raised your appreciated feedback for future development.

Thank you for your time to deliver this honest feedback.

We do repeat our sincere apologies for any unintended inconvenience.
Should you have any further questions, please feel free to reply to this email.
Thank you for your enquiry.
Yours sincerely,

CENSORED

Then I asked when:

Dear Mr. CENSORED

Thank you for your reply.

With reference to your recent email regarding the availability of your device software update, please note that we aim to have this firmware update available as early as possible. However, we do not currently have a timeframe for the release date of this update, please find the link below where you will be able to check on updates:

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-oled-tvs-android-/kd-77a1?country=...

Should you have any further questions, please feel free to reply to this email.

Thank you for your enquiry.

Yours sincerely,

CENSORED

SONY SUPPORT TEAM

Well we don‘t really know if they‘re serious.

Since they don‘t „have a timeframe“ it could take a very long time for the update to release.

I hope these emails actually affected something.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Forget it. Nothing but a prepared common answer. The problem has been existing for almost 4 years now. Even this thread is two years old. So better don't expect this to ever be fixed.