Join now - be part of our community!

BUG: Android 6.0.1 reboots after enabling VPN apps

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

BUG: Android 6.0.1 reboots after enabling VPN apps

I have installed via USB and tested Block This (open source) and Adguard (not together. One per time) on my KD49XD8099 with Android 6.0.1 and they simply worked great! No more annoying ads (yes, I know. Companies don't like it, especially Google, but they are perfectly legal. Also we are allowed by Android itself to install whatever we like).

The only problem is that after turning the TV off (standby) few hours, when I turn it on the television starts rebooting. Uninstalling them the television (and rebooting just in case) Android becomes "stable" again (quoted because I've got reboots even without tampering with special apps). The apps were set to enable the VPN at boot. Not that it should matter, since the reboot happens just putting the tv in standby.

Now, I do understand that an external app, not made specifically for Android TV may not work (but as I wrote they actually do the job they are made for), but if the television/Android reboots there is a (very critical) issue with the OS, not the app. To test the issue the developers just need to install the apps mentioned (again, enabling the VPN at boot).

148 REPLIES 148
profile.country.GB.title
Dr_Halo
Explorer

I'll try to ask to developers of "Hola VPN" to insert a new setting for disabling it when screen goes off. 

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Be sure to specify that the screen must just be "OFF", not locked, since Android TV doesn't have a lock screen. Same for the Screen ON, to start the VPN again. And it must disconnect from the server, with the screen off. Not just pause the app in a way or another.

Good luck, because the ones of Adguard weren't very interested on making that option available.

profile.country.GB.title
Dr_Halo
Explorer

Thanks for your advices! I've got the same problem with adguard and in the end I've uninstalled it because of resets. I'm afraid to hear that with adguard you had no success in your request and I think the same will be for mine in hola VPN... Fortunately I use to use my app just 1 or 2 times a week and the problem is not so serious.

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Sure, we can live without them. But since the problem always happens, and for this it is easily reproducible, as well as it may be part of a more general issue (and I believe it is. Because the standby is fishy in these televisions) one would expect the manufacturer to be very interested on fixing it.

Instead I have got a: "Ah no. This is releated to third party apps, thus it isn't supported!". Third party apps my bottom!! It's dtv_svc crashing, as main system service, not the app!

Sorry. I'm still angry at the way Sony treats the people actually doing their job they are too lazy to do.

profile.country.IT.title
Luigi_R

Using a vpn everyday and all this crashes are making me crazy 😞  Since they do not care about usability and satisfation of the clients, I consider this TV my first and last Sony product...it is half day work to handle this exception and fix the bug...

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Yeah, same here. This update didn't fix anything that I checked. It didn't even update Amazon Video (updated on Nvidia Shield)!

profile.country.IT.title
Luigi_R

Which update are you talking about? Is there a new firmaware? What version do you have?

profile.country.IT.title
Luigi_R

Thanks! As you said they did not fix it. What is more annoying is that the TV crashes even without turning off the screen...if you turn on the TV and you connect to the VPN too quickly (maybe before a certain service has started) the TV crashes too 😞

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Well, as we know it is something related to  the network changing. It's always reproducible after sleep because when turning the TV off the network should dozes as well. And waking up the network it triggers the bug.

In any case this is the same Android update (more or less) that the USA have got ages ago. Nearly useless.