Join now - be part of our community!

BUG: Android 6.0.1 reboots after enabling VPN apps

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

BUG: Android 6.0.1 reboots after enabling VPN apps

I have installed via USB and tested Block This (open source) and Adguard (not together. One per time) on my KD49XD8099 with Android 6.0.1 and they simply worked great! No more annoying ads (yes, I know. Companies don't like it, especially Google, but they are perfectly legal. Also we are allowed by Android itself to install whatever we like).

The only problem is that after turning the TV off (standby) few hours, when I turn it on the television starts rebooting. Uninstalling them the television (and rebooting just in case) Android becomes "stable" again (quoted because I've got reboots even without tampering with special apps). The apps were set to enable the VPN at boot. Not that it should matter, since the reboot happens just putting the tv in standby.

Now, I do understand that an external app, not made specifically for Android TV may not work (but as I wrote they actually do the job they are made for), but if the television/Android reboots there is a (very critical) issue with the OS, not the app. To test the issue the developers just need to install the apps mentioned (again, enabling the VPN at boot).

148 REPLIES 148
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Isn't it only happening after a deep sleep? How can you adb log this without a connection?

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

OK, system does not need to deep sleep in order to reproduce it. Shallow standby (display off) and resume does the trick where you always have an adb connection.

profile.country.NO.title
rapraprap

Yes, correct, this happens whenever there is a network change while connected to VPN, so if you unplug the LAN or switch off the wifi while any type of service is running, even no-root firewall which doesn't actually connect to any real VPN service, just pretends to so it can route traffic locally and block ads etc. If you see the line from the log posted above it said something about "get real ip"

BTW, if anyone is familiar with reddit, there are subreddits for both Android TV and Bravia TVs at /r/AndroidTV and /r/Bravia where people discuss issues and might be able to organize better wrt getting some of these critical bugs fixed and not run the risk of cencorship (not that it has happened on the Sony forums to my knowledge).

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Kuschelmonschter wrote:

OK, system does not need to deep sleep in order to reproduce it. Shallow standby (display off) and resume does the trick where you always have an adb connection.

Yup. You answered yourself. I have been a bit surprised too, because when I tried in 6.0.1 (since this bug was in 6.0.1 as well. And since the bug seems to be in the libc-2.18.so shared library just think how much Mediatek has been updating its kernel and libraries in the upgrade to Android 7.0..).  switching the display off it was actually closing the adb connection immediately. I wonder if the VPN works with the phones with Mediatek SoC since it seems to be a buffer overflow or the likes.

@rapraprap Oh yeah, you're right. Switching the WiFi off and then on reproduces the bug as well (the tv reboots). So would do a router restart I suppose, then. Or a loss of a WiFi connectivity for any reason for people connected via WiFi like me.

Regarding reddit, what do you mean with "organize better wrt"? Not that I ever used reddit (I read it only when I do a Google search and I end up there).

profile.country.NO.title
rapraprap

@Jecht_Sinwrt = with regards to

I see that there are a few people on here who have taken their time to really look at some of these critical and fundamental hardware and software related bugs and problems with these sets, testing to make sure problems are reproducible and even going a long way towards figuring out the causes. Like you mentioned a page or so back, it's true there are only a few of us voicing these concerns, but when so much of the work towards identifying the cause has been done, Sony should be able to do something.

I'm not sure about the size, level of activity, and composition of the AndroidTV and related communities on reddit, but perhaps if more people who own these sets were aware of these issues and had access to some write ups like for example @Kuschelmonschter review/experience thing, and if people had a more organized way to view these issues so they don't get lost among the "how do I press this button on my remote" type posts, then maybe it would be easier to get Sony to implement some fixes, or at least take notice for posterity.

Perhaps some Sony Bravia Android TV (2015/16/17) major faults and issues megathread, which would include some of the big stinkers like the megabit lan and ac wifi which doesn't perform to spec (doesn anyone know what the deal is with the wifi btw? Is it hardware or drivers?). And link back to discussions elsewhere, etc. I saw some of the major posters here seems to have express access to some of the higher up support people who won't discourage you by telling you to reboot or something.

I know that I first noticed the VPN reboot thing way back in february or something, and just said 'whatever'. Perhaps there are more users who would be inclined to send in a complaint or even return their sets if it were more visible. 

For my home server, I've managed to eek out a max 125 Mbps on ac wifi  with DLNA which is just about enough to cover the peak bitrate on the UHD files I have, but SMB maxes out at 45 Mbps. It just sucks. Can't even expand.

Sony really have cut some utterly strange corners with these products. Used up an old stock of 10/100 cards probably. Beyond annoying.

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

No, I understand. But personally I don't feel like becoming a Reddit user, the last thing I need is to join yet another forum.

Regarding the WiFi issue, if you check with AIDA64 you'll see that the maximum WIFi connection speed achievable should be 180Mbps. At least I have never seen it going above that (and I saw it going lower). But one should put the router next to the TV to be sure.

It is enough for  streaming high bitrate HDR demos. Also via FTP with X-plore I could get 10-13MByte/s (so around 100Mbps), but unfortunately Apple removed the FTP server in High Sierra so that doesn't work anymore. Via ssh, still in X-plore (thus the same app!), I was getting ridiculous speeds (1-2MByte/s). I have got the feeling it actually has to do with some other bug, because it makes little sense.

About the lack of a gigabit ethernet I have been checking a bit around and with my surprise it seems all TVs and TV Set Top boxes (Fire TV and Apple TV included) use a 10/100Mbps ethernet port! For sure all the ones I checked. I am not sure about the Nvidia Shield (hmmm. No.This one has a Gigabit port).

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Jecht_Sin schrieb:
Regarding the WiFi issue, if you check with AIDA64 you'll see that the maximum WIFi connection speed achievable should be 180Mbps.

My TV connects at a full 866mbps. Usable data rate is 120mbps on average. TV is 3m away from the AP in direct line of sight. Other devices can do > 400mbps at the same distance with 2x MIMO.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @rapraprap

".... and if people had a more organized way to view these issues"

In addition to KM's list, there is also a list of bugs/issues on this forum, see:

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/android-tv-bugs-and-issues/td-p/2040020

Although admittingly, I have not updated it recently... But nothing has been resolved on the list completely, so only a few new ones need to be added at some point in time.  Both lists are referenced and used by Sony and fed up the chain to relevent departments. 

And in order to help some of the regular questions, I have started a FAQ: HERE

I am always welcome and open to sugestions on how to do things differently or better in order to assist this community.  :slight_smile:

In regards to your comment on a previous post about potential censorship by Sony - Please note that this forum has never censored anything that is not against the forum rules (as far as I am aware).  You are welcome to criticise or praise (whichever you prefer).  Although it is true that the US based forums did censor a whole thread in recent times (which you may be aware of), however they did get slammed by forum members and the media (rightly so).

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Kuschelmonschter wrote:

Jecht_Sin schrieb:
Regarding the WiFi issue, if you check with AIDA64 you'll see that the maximum WIFi connection speed achievable should be 180Mbps.

My TV connects at a full 866mbps. Usable data rate is 120mbps on average. TV is 3m away from the AP in direct line of sight. Other devices can do > 400mbps at the same distance with 2x MIMO.

Sorry, just to better understand, how did you get that number? Because for example on my MacBook Pro I get two speeds:

• Connection speed: 1300 Mbps - This should be the maximum bandwidth supported by the WiFi radio/channel and it's fixed.
  • Transmission speed: Usually 200-290Mbps - This is the actual bandwidth between the Mac and the router. I never reached 1300Mbps, not even putting the MacBook next to the router. 800-900Mbps max.

Since it changes I believe the one showed by AIDA64 is the transmission speed. That in my case never went above 180Mbps. But as I wrote I don't know if it may be higher, maybe that's my upper limit at this distance.

Oh, the MacBook is next to the television. Both are 5-6 m. from the router (Or more? With a wall and door). My Xperia X Compact, put near the tv, currently shows a transmission speed of 130Mbps (but that's very unreliable. Now it shows 40Mbps and if I run Speedtest I go above 70Mbps. Which would make little sense).

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Sorry, just to better understand, how did you get that number?

I thought you were suggesting to check link speed in AIDA64:

I interpreted this sentence that AIDA64 shows 180mbps for you.