Join now - be part of our community!

BUG: Android 6.0.1 reboots after enabling VPN apps

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

BUG: Android 6.0.1 reboots after enabling VPN apps

I have installed via USB and tested Block This (open source) and Adguard (not together. One per time) on my KD49XD8099 with Android 6.0.1 and they simply worked great! No more annoying ads (yes, I know. Companies don't like it, especially Google, but they are perfectly legal. Also we are allowed by Android itself to install whatever we like).

The only problem is that after turning the TV off (standby) few hours, when I turn it on the television starts rebooting. Uninstalling them the television (and rebooting just in case) Android becomes "stable" again (quoted because I've got reboots even without tampering with special apps). The apps were set to enable the VPN at boot. Not that it should matter, since the reboot happens just putting the tv in standby.

Now, I do understand that an external app, not made specifically for Android TV may not work (but as I wrote they actually do the job they are made for), but if the television/Android reboots there is a (very critical) issue with the OS, not the app. To test the issue the developers just need to install the apps mentioned (again, enabling the VPN at boot).

148 REPLIES 148
profile.country.NO.title
rapraprap

Mhm, so many strange things with these TVs. Who would've thought you wouldn't even be able to run a VPN app successfully. I was thinking about getting a rasperry pi to run a dns server. I dunno, I don't really need it for the rest of my devices. It's crazy how much we have to fiddle to get stuff to work. You have to wonder if this VPN thing is a "bug" Sony would even want to fix

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

The point is that anything under allowed user behaviour (with no use of rooting to be clear) crashing the kernel/OS (and thus rebooting) should be threated as a Priority 1 Critical Bug. Because it is a bug. It is always reproducible so it would actually be quite immediate for the developers to find and fix it. Not to mention that this bug could also be related to other random reboots.

I know I am reiterating myself, but I am totally disappointed with Sony's QA for these televisions. Spontaneous/random reboots must never happen and once reported, with clear steps to reproduce them, they must be patched immediately.

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

A little update: I was called by Sony support for the issue about the banner randomly appearing when playing the PS4, and at the end of the call I mentioned this bug as well. He told me to send an email describing the problem.

I have downloaded DroidVPN, signed up for a free account and tested. Reproduced it immediately (as usual). So I described all steps in the email, with the sure way to reproduce it. Now hopefully Sony will work on this. Obviously he first tried to argue the the VPN isn't supported (my bottom!) but as soon as I replied that they are apps downloaded from Google Play and thus supported he desisted.

Then what's with some people in support anyway.. If I was a developer (and I have been)  I would love to have a sure way to always reproduce a critical bug! Especially one causing a system reboot. Sure, I'd rather have it not happening at all, but since it happens to get all steps to reproduce it is a gift from heaven.

Anyway, let's see what he will reply.

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

So I have been called by the Sony representative.. And guess what? After reporting this bug to the technical support the answer has been: since it is a third party app we have nothing to do with it.

Seriously?! YOUR version of the Operative System reboots because an app is using the standard, supported VPN in Android  and you have nothing to do with this?? Thus Sony is fine with anyone potentially writing a malicious app that crashes the kernel/OS developed by Sony/Mediatek? But I bet that if this bug could lead to rooting they would patch it immediately! Isn't it?

Honestly, the feeling I have got is that Sony isn't interested at all about fixing any of the bugs infesting these tv. I say this because after that I also reported about the USB module not working, at least not with my Lexar USB keys. Answer: you must understand that this not a PC. 

After my reply "Too bad that it runs on Linux kernel, though, doesn't it?" I've got a "Well but then buy another key and see if it works!". Say what? I have to play the lotto each time at 30€ each just to see if I am lucky enough to make YOUR television working as it must?? 

Unbelievable. Simply unbleliavable.

profile.country.NO.title
rapraprap

I get your frustration and I feel the same way often. Although these are just consumer products and in the long term aren't worth fussing over, the truth is we are in fact protected by consumer laws etc, and we did indeed pay for these products with our own funds. I even went on a rant in another thread here about the poor networking performance defeating the purpose of buying this TV for me in many ways, as I'm almost better off buying an Nvidia Shield for a TV that's supposed to essentially have one built in.

I think it's important to keep in mind that for the vast, and I mean absolutely overwhelmingly vast majority of people who buy these TVs these things are absolute non-issues and the most important thing is to have stuff working day to day on unmodified sets, and I'm sure many of the calls that Sony support gets are simple goofy things that might be due to user mistakes, as opposed to people who for example buy the Nvidia Shield, which can be called an enthusiast product, no?

I think it's unfortunate that these TVs, which seem so neat on paper and are imho quite affordable and with good picture quality, end up lacking in unfortunate and unexpected ways, like perhaps the shortsightedness of using megabit and not gigabit LAN (especially in the high end sets, come on), the mediatek drivers being so mind numbingly poorly optimized (the wifi for example is atrocious), the silly programme guide check or whatever it is that's causing the VPN bootloops, and the fact that the TVs turn on from standby all the time to send all kinds of user statistics to Netflix, Sony, etc, which process supplies power to the board and of course causes any peripherals, hard disks included, to switch on and off a hundred times a night, presumably shortening their lifespan.

Maybe in the end the best solution would be to not go for these smart tv all-in-one products, and let a TV be a dumb screen to which you attach whatever you want. And I do want to mention, though not as an argument in favor of Sony in these dealings, that the Philips Android TVs I've tried have been so much worse, bogged down with a lot of unneccesary crap, so at least in that regard it could be worse than what Sony has provided -- if you went in blindly and bought and Android TV trusting both/either company.

Hopefully future sets will be tested to also comply with the needs of advanced users (which they are supposed to anyway), making sure stuff like VPN works and understanding that people have things like home servers etc and obviously if they have Android on their TVs and decent enough chips as well users would want to take advantage of it.

Then again I could be wrong and maybe Sony are just plain lazy and don't care about making their products work to afcftual specs, and we should be wary of buying from them if we expect to utilize them fully.

profile.country.IT.title
Luigi_R

I'm a developer too and it is unbelievable how lazy they are. It won't take much time for them with a debugger and an easy way to reproduce it. I'm really starting to regret the purchase. Can you please send me their support email address? If I would I could ***** up my TV by simply enstablishing a vpn connection with OpenVPN (available on google play) and activating the option in the app itself "start on boot". I did not try but I guess the TV will go in a loop keeping rebooting.    

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@rapraprap I do realise that we are a very small minority using features like the VPN, but once the customers waste their time to find a sure way to reproduce a a critical bug the least Sony must do is to reproduce it themselves and see if anf how they can fix it. The answer "It's a third party app thus it isn't supported" other than being totally unprofessional is wrong! It's their kernel/OS rebooting, not the app. As there isn't only the VPN rebooting the system, there are plenty of diversified random reboots here and there. Since Sony itself made a version of Android 7.0 that is very stable (the one on my Xperia X Compact. Never ever a random reboot. And I install all kind of apps on it) the issue isn't in Android iyself but in Sony's specific implementation of Android for these tvs. But sure, the X Compact has a Qualcomm SoC, Bravia tvs use Mediatek..

Also how have you identified that it is the tv guide? From the logcat I posted or you reached that conclusion youserlf? Because I had the same idea. I may well try to disable it (if possible. I am not using the DTV anyway) and see what happens.

@Luigi_R Fortunately enough this doesn't cause any bootloop. With the apps I used enabled the "run at login" option. Once the tv reboots (after exiting stand-by) keeping the tv on the VPN apps that autostart at login act like when we start them manually.  Which means we must turn off and then on the tv again to cause the reboot.Maybe if we put the tv on stand-by each time it reboots we get a sort of bootloop (I didn't test it. There was no need and at this point I am not going to waste much more time). Still, if it happens one just needs to boot the tv in Safe Mode and uninstall all VPN apps.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

It is amazing how stupid Sony and their support teams are. Every supporter should have guidelines where system crashes are on the very top of the list. An app is never supposed to crash the system, only itself. If the system crashes than something is inherently wrong with it and Sony should treat it with highest priority.

The problem is that Sony knows nothing about software. That's why nothing will ever change.

profile.country.NL.title
Flashlab2

I don't think Sony is lazy but just cut costs since it's low on resources. SoC and logic boards are standard solutions from MediaTek so it's outsourced and software development is probably outsourced too; maybe India? This is not an excuse but a sad reality I fear. Combine this with a very hierarchical Japanese management style and you get this. Slow to respond to problems and silence while waiting for a decision from topmanagement.

If only they used their resources to make this TV shine. Imagine a custom Playstation logic board running AndroidTV with all drivers and software updated like on Playstation. Or just slap a Shield motherboard in the TV. One can dream...

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

I have reproduced the bug again to analize it a bit better (I know. I am a masochist..). Previously I overlooked that in the crash I get in dtv_svc (which is IMVHO at 99% the culprit) there was the following:

07-14 14:23:26.726  8988  8988 F DEBUG   :     #03 pc 00e50cc4  /linux_rootfs/basic/libmtkapp.so (a_nw_get_crnt_real_ip_info+420)
07-14 14:23:26.726  8988  8988 F DEBUG   :     #04 pc 00949f80  /linux_rootfs/basic/libmtkapp.so
07-14 14:23:26.726  8988  8988 F DEBUG   :     #05 pc 00edffc4  /linux_rootfs/basic/libmtkapp.so (nav_brdcst_msg_to_components+296)
07-14 14:23:26.726  8988  8988 F DEBUG   :     #06 pc 00ee8708  /linux_rootfs/basic/libmtkapp.so

Lib Mediatek. Why am I not surprised? Seriously, why do the manufacturers insist on giving money to that company? Mediatek is awful!