Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
willisonline
Explorer

Thanks.

Are there any recommendations for a decent simple remote to replace the
Sony remote and also work with the volume.
willisonline
Explorer

if you could let me know how you did this. thanks in advance.
sassbs
Explorer

Willsonline what speakers do you use that might help.

Sent from my Windows Phone

@sassbs wrote:
Yes I use Optical as my Speakers don't support ARC.

It just worked for me, I think you may need to enter an IR code for a non Sony speaker but you can do it.

How do you control the power/volume with the TV's remote, when its connected through optical?

That a tip I'd like to have :slight_smile:

anjenki75

Ah this might depend on the model, I believe the KD-75X9105C comes with IR blaster for the TV itself (i.e. you configure the TV to send an IR signal).

http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/televisions/x9105c-x9005c-series/specifications

sassbs
Explorer

As stated I never did anything unusual I just switched it on and it worked it out, TV is KD43x8309c speakers are Ht ss-100 both Sony maybe that has something to do with it.

If the speakers use IR then you can use a remote to change volume you just need the correct IR code for your speaker setup. My old TV was a Panasonic and I worked with the same setup, I just had to enter a code first on the remote control.

anjenki75

As far as I know the RMT-TX100D remote control itself is not programmable, you cannot "enter a code on the remote control" to make the buttons control another device. There was certainly nothing in the manual of my TV (W805C) or anything in the online guide for your TV (X8309C) about it.

Optical connections do not have any device control functions like HDMI does (CEC) and they pass digital audio (i.e. Dolby, DTS or PCM stereo).

Some TV models have a function in the TV itself that lets them control other devices (speaker setups, cable boxes etc) via infra red, i.e. by emulating their remote controls. This is common to several manufacturers including on some Sony TVs. They use an "IR blaster" for this, which you are supposed to position near the device. This is supported on some of Sony's range but according to the specs very few of them ship with this IR blaster (I linked to one model range earlier). Maybe some TVs have this integrated somehow and just put out a powerful enough signal that it's supposed to work anywhere in the room. I think if you have this feature in your TV there is supposed to be an option in Settings -> External Inputs -> IR Blaster setup.

http://helpguide.sony.net/tv/caep1/v1/en/contents/TP0000543838.html?search=remote

anjenki75

I just checked and the HTSS-100 does have HDMI ports and it does support HDMI Control (CEC). If you have any kind of HDMI connection between the TV and the receiver then the TV will be using CEC to control the receiver's volume. This happens even if the receiver does not support ARC (i.e. the sound is still send through optical).

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Have a look at the hint in the manual pages to adjust the volume of the HT via optical cable using the TV remote...

http://helpguide.sony.net/tv/caep1/v1/en/contents/TP0000543556.html

anjenki75

@rooobb wrote:

Have a look at the hint in the manual pages to adjust the volume of the HT via optical cable using the TV remote...

http://helpguide.sony.net/tv/caep1/v1/en/contents/TP0000543556.html

Perhaps you are confused. That page describes how volume can be controlled via HDMI:

"If you connect a BRAVIA Sync-compatible device with an HDMI connection, you can operate it by simply using the TV’s remote."

And through the 3.5mm analog output:

"When using an external audio system, the audio out of the TV can be operated using the TV’s remote if [Headphone/Audio out] is set to [Audio out (Variable)]"

It does not mention at all any way to control volume from the TV if connecting only via optical.