Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@Cbrpaul01 wrote:

thank you for the reply,  and the link , but forgive me , i cant seem to find how to disable youview on that link

Paul

Home/Settings/Channel settings/YouView settings/Disable YouView.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
delwatson

Paul,

Below is message I sent to curry's got response and call next day and are providing me a full refund on return to store.

"I have recently (14/11/2015) bought the Sony-KD-55X8509C from Curry's store in Dundee. Since using I have been plagued with Issues.

I have had to reboot my TV multiple times. Using You-View seems to have detrimental effect of the TV with it becoming very slow to respond even basic actions like changing channel and volume. Using Netflix seems to be a lottery it works now and again then it either gives a not connected to internet message or a black screen making it unresponsive both resulting in having to reboot the TV. I am also coming across problems using Apps such as Iplayer and itv player where they crash and yet again a reboot is required. This is the major issues I am currently having, There are small random ones that pop up like lip-sync but seem to disappear simply by closing/re-opening app (when they work) but still this is far from ideal. On checking out the Sony Community Forums, This seems to be a problem across all Tv's of this model and not just mine and none of these reasons can be attributed to any of my TV aerial or internet connections as while using my previous smart tv all apps work etc with no issues.

As I have only had this TV for a short period and it looks like there is no upcoming fix for these issues I would be looking to return this for a full refund/exchange for a different TV and would appreciate your co-operation in assisting with this matter."

@Cbrpaul01 wrote:

Hello all,

I googled my sony tv and found this forum, please  can you help

I have a Sony Android  KDL50W805CBU, its 3 weeks old , i have the follwoing issues

1.TV turns itself off

2.TV turns back on if turned off

3.Random reboots

4.Picture went into what i desribe as " cartoon view"  almost animated look, had to reboot to clear

5.Freezes on menus

Now i have just noticed i have lost all Satellite channels, im thinking Sony has now removed this with the recent software update, can some please confirn this.

I have until this Friday to return for a full refund, so please advise.

Thank you

Paul

Hello all,

I googled my sony tv and found this forum, please  can you help

I have a Sony Android  KDL50W805CBU, its 3 weeks old , i have the follwoing issues

1.TV turns itself off

2.TV turns back on if turned off

3.Random reboots

4.Picture went into what i desribe as " cartoon view"  almost animated look, had to reboot to clear

5.Freezes on menus

Now i have just noticed i have lost all Satellite channels, im thinking Sony has now removed this with the recent software update, can some please confirn this.

I have until this Friday to return for a full refund, so please advise.

Thank you

Paul

livehappy
Explorer

Which one, is it the 4k uhd? How big it is? I am still looking. Hoping to get a good deal by tomorrow.
TSD123
Explorer

I have had this 43X83C TV since July - I bought from John Lewis. I now want to return it because it still doesnt work as advertised - has anyone been able to do this outside the 90 day period?

delwatson

TSD123 wrote:

I have had this 43X83C TV since July - I bought from John Lewis. I now want to return it because it still doesnt work as advertised - has anyone been able to do this outside the 90 day period?

Yeah, This has been covered in this thread earlier, Have quoted below what was said to Currys, Say the same to JL and you will get same outcome,

" The email was as follows:

Good afternoon,

Under the sales of Goods Act 1979 I would like to exchange the Sony TV (KDL-50W809C) I purchased on the 15th of Oct due to it not being as described – the lack of HDD recording specifically is the primary reason for the exchange.  This was advertised by Sony and also shown on your web site, but the TV does not have this feature.

I wish to return the TV to my local store (Currys PC World, Unit 8 Drake House) and exchange for a Panasonic VIERA TX-55CX400B 0 - I am happy to pay the additional cost involved as the Panasonic is a little more expensive.

Please can you authorise the return and let me know the details so that I can pass these onto the helpful in-store staff.

Many thanks,

I think that as I went for an exhange rather than a refund, Curry's were happy to take back the Sony - I needed a TV afterall and found that although Currys were a little more expensive than buying online, it was good to go into the shop, chat with the sales staff and purchase from a big retailer.

Hope this helps. "

TSD123
Explorer

Thanks delwatson.

Do you know if there is a time limit for me to do the return under the Sales of Goods act? I'd like to wait until the 4k Panasonic Android TVs launch before returning this TV

Twobins

@TSD123 wrote:

Thanks delwatson.

Do you know if there is a time limit for me to do the return under the Sales of Goods act? I'd like to wait until the 4k Panasonic Android TVs launch before returning this TV

I was under the impression that Panasonic have decided to go with Firefox OS rather than Android. I also believe its simpler to use which is a benefit if the rest of the family want to use the tv.

elraouk

Agreed, Panasonic use Firefox OS, which unfortunately has no plex app.  Maybe you were thinking of Philips, who are doing android sets?  Unless Panasonic are ditching Firefox after one year.? 
Mekerz

It's commendable that people have managed to return their TVs for either a refund or exchange.

Unfortunately, to the likes of Sony, an individual customer is like a fly that can simply be swatted or ignored. If Sony's partners (distributors/retailers) start reporting a high % of returns of Sony TVs then Sony will have to react.

There are probably a lot of UK users who are blisfully unaware as to how unstable these sets are because they're using external hardware such as Sky or Virgin to provide their main content. I get my content via Virgin so I only suffer the general Android/Kodi instability that you don't get with the Shield TV console. That being said, I wouldn't feel comfortable selling this TV on because the new owner may want to use the other functions that aren't stable!

elraouk

John Lewis say it will cost me £30 to return my 43X8305C under the 90 day return policy, can only assume this is due to the 2 man service clause.  Seriously, 2 people to  carry a 43" TV? Maybe if it was a CRT!  Anyone know if this is a new policy? Don't remember seeing it before and haven't seen anyone else saying they've been charged £30!