Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
dataghost
Explorer

Girlfriend tried to change the channel earlier, TV guide went into a meltdown of freezing, staying on the screen when it should have gone, not turning over.  In the end she said I'll just watch what's on and gave up.

as I type she has gone to change the channel 30 mins later still wouldn't change and the screen has gone blank. She has given up and gone to watch her program on the iPad instead.  Absolutely disgusting pathetic performance.

profile.country.GB.title
Shalendran

@Twobins

I suggest return it.

elraouk

I think the main problems come from those people who actually want to use their TV as a TV. If you use it as a screen for external devices, or just use streaming services, then they seem to work OK. However the satellite EPG is a joke, you can't record still (and let's face it, that's not going to work properly either first time round) and YouView is half baked and appears to make the TV grind to a halt!!
dataghost
Explorer

The performance of this tv is truly disgusting for its price. It's gotten to the point where we just laugh at its struggle to cope with the basics of changing channel........something black and white TVs back in the old days managed without issue.  If I weren't in the middle of a demanding house move I'd be waging war to get this tv back to the store. Unfortunately I have bigger things to deal with atm 

Cbrpaul01
Explorer

sorted thank you Quinnicus :slight_smile:

elraouk

Has anyone installed showbox on their set? How do you navigate with the standard remote control? 
Cbrpaul01
Explorer

I use a Humax youview box with my KDL50W805CBU, seems to work well most of the time.

I paid £479 for this tv , which was a great deal , and a deal i wont get elsewhere for another tv for the same spec, so i really want to keep it.

I was wondering though can you go back to previous firmwares ?

xx4L0Mxx
Contributor

I use a Logitech K400 keyboard with built in touch pad for showbox and stuff. Just plug in the wireless dongle into a USB port on the TV. I'm sure pretty much any cheap wireless keyboard and mouse will work. 

This is just a 43 inch Android tablet, and like all tablets are guaranteed to crash, need a reboot, lock up, get confused or whatever else badly desgined and buggy, untested software can do to annoy us humans.

My tablet needs a reboot every day if I'm going to expect to watch TV on it.  Often the sound is out of sync with the picture.  Quite often, the remote doesn't do what you ask it.  Even turning it off (the best thing for it really) is a chore as it sometimes goes off, then switches back on again straight afterwards.  Other times, the picture switches off while the sound keeps playing.  Again, only a reboot fixes this.  Tonight we had jerky video and all of a sudden it just rebooted itself. I suppose that's progress in that it now knows to reboot for me, instead of me having to reach around the back of the telly to power it off and on again.

On top of that, it was sold to us because we could plug our satellite dish into it. True, we can, but we have to either purchase the Radio Times (remeber that?) or go on-line to see what our choice of programmes are as the EPG is non-existent.  Catch-up TV is also awful - BBC iPlayer is the only choice as we need to have terrestial in order to use YouView (to use the other catch-up TV services) and that promises to wipe our satellite channels if we install it.

In summary - this is simply dire.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@haribo411 wrote:

Has anyone else found that Amazon 4k (ultra HD) looks the same as standard HD? Netflix 4k looks amazing but Amazon just seems normal.

Yes.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking