Join now - be part of our community!

ILCE-QX1 Firmware Update / Version II

profile.country.GB.title
GreggLonewolf

ILCE-QX1 Firmware Update / Version II

I am not sure if this discussion belongs here, but the QX1 is an interchangeable lens camera, so I thought this the best place to start.

I have a couple of requests for a firmware update on the QX1 and / or ideas for the QX2.

As an owner of the NEX-5 and 5N cameras, I have a couple of E-mount lenses, but also a number of adaptors that allow me to use other lenses with the NEX cameras (namely Canon, Nikon and Leica-M lenses).

When I first heard about the QX1 I thought it would be great if I could use it with ALL of my lenses (including the adapted ones), especially my Zeiss ZM manual lenses.

Unfortunately as I (finally) found out, the QX1 does not support the Release without Lens feature that the NEX cameras use - thus allowing the shutter to operate without there being an electronically mounted E mount lens attached.

My first request for a firmware upgrade / idea for the QX2 is to make the Release without Lens function available so we can use any and all lenses with the system.

I think this is especially useful seeing as the E-mount is now becoming Sony's primary mount for both stills and video cameras (A7 and FS7 being the most obvious new models).

Secondly, the AVCHD codec is terrible. Please add the XAVC-S Video Codec in a firmware update and / or add this to the QX2.

Finally, if there are plans to release a QX2 could you make it with the full frame sensor found in the A7 / A7r, as that would really open up the creative possibilities of the system.

Please let me know if you think these requests are practical or is there some limitation to the way the QX series work with the PlayMemories Mobile software that prevent this being possible.

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.BE.title
Portmixus
Hero

I think XAVC-S is a logical upgrade, also your others requests are certainly not unrealistic :wink:

Although a FF-QX camera/mount is not something I expect to see very soon, but Sony is often full of surprises!

What do you use the QX-1 the most for or what would you like to do with it? Just curious :slight_smile:

I got the DSC-QX10 when that first came out and used it as a general point and shooter, but also attached it to the bottom of a DJI Phantom Quadcopter (instead of using a GoPro) for aerial photography.

Unfortunately, the lack of optical steady shot meant that the footage was pretty unuseable, unless you just left the Quad in a hover.

With the announcement of the QX1 I was excited as this was the next logical step and meant I would be able to use all of my Sony (and hopefully other) lenses, but I was unsure of whether it offered Release without Lens.

I tried sending messages to Sony and checking on the forums but it took a long time to get a reply that it DID NOT have the feature.

As I mentioned in my original post I have a selection of adaptors and third party lenses, in particular a lovely set of Zeiss ZM manual lenses which I use all the time on the NEX-5N (especially a lovely little 50mm F 1.5 lens).

I would like to use the QX1 (or QX2) as a smaller replacement for the NEX camera (not that the NEX is large by any means) but the thought of being able to capture images from full frame fast lenses onto an APS-C sensor using my phone as the trigger is really exciting and opens up the creative possibilities of the QX1 and the PlayMemories Mobile software.

Hopefully it is possible to upgrade the firmware, or maybe Sony will release a QX2 with the functions I have asked for, and if so I'll be one of the first to buy one.

profile.country.GB.title
GreggLonewolf

So I've kind of answered my own question - in the absence of a QX1 firmware update, or no imminent announcement of a QX2 with Release Without Shutter, I've opted to pick up a Sony NEX-5R or A6000 (which should work over WiFi with the PlayMemories Mobile App and will at least give me one of my requested function upgrades).

Now if Sony could only be persuaded to release a firmware upgrade that adds XAVC-S to the 5R that would be perfect.

Speaking of firmware upgrades I tried upgrading a 5R on my MAC the other day but kept getting the "aborted due to a problem during the process" error message.

According to the download page where I got the firmware from it should run under Mac OSX 10.10.

Any idea why this is not working ?

Cheers in advance

Gregg Smith

pegalla24
Explorer

The sensor already supports shooting without lens attached. Worked for me with pinhole sensor cap and also with a Cannon mount adapter (without contacts) 

The video codec is terrible I agree, needs an upgrade big time. My phone actually puts out cleaner video. 

I'd love to see a couple of other things too. 

1. There's no metering control at the moment, I'm not sure if this is a limitation in the camera firmware or in the play memories app. 

2. Longer than 30 second shutter speed. 

3. Full manual more, the current manual shutter/auto aperture and manual aperture/auto shutter set up is good for most situations, but there are some instances where it would be neat to untether these. 

4. Better view finder performance. I've used the camera on several devices, a Sony Z3, Z2, Tablet, iPhone, Galaxy S5, maybe more. All have stuttering of the screen. I'm not asking for it to be super smooth, but sometimes it's frozen for a good couple of seconds. Also, the option to change the view finder quality for a sharper image update to the screen, when manually focusing the lens it's hard to tell if you're hard focused with the current set up. 

Would be a nice few additions. 

Hello

I'm the jhappy owner of a Sony QX1 that I love. Do you know if Sony has released a new firmware for sony QX1.

Shooting in video mode, the basic setting in low light is shutter 1/30 for a frame rate 30fps. For me, that's a total nonsense, and a lot of motion blur comes from that.

Do you have a solution for that?

Regards

Christophe

Bonjour.

Je suis l'heureux pocesseur d'un Sony QX1 que j'adore.

Savez vous si Sony a lancé une update du firwmware?

En mode vidéo, le réglage de base du shutter est de 1/30 pour une cadence de 30 i/s, ce qui semble être complètement abérrant et ne répond à aucune logique. Le résultat est un important motion Blur.

Quelqu'un a-t-il une solution à ce problème?

Cordialement

Christophe

csnakagi
New

Could sony gently give a option on QX1 of DO NOT SHUTDOWN THE CAMERA!!!!

JUST IT!!!!!!!