Join now - be part of our community!

Unable to use webcam since Windows 8 upgrade

profile.country.en_GB.title
brisnick
Visitor

Unable to use webcam since Windows 8 upgrade

Hi,

I have a VPCSB4C5E and I have followed the Sony upgrade document to upgrade to Windows 8.

I no longer have a webcam available, but I do have an Unknown Device in Device Manager, which I believe is the webcam.

There are no drivers to download from the Support -> Downloads section on the Sony website for my model. In fact the only update available is the firmware update Camera FW (Ricoh) 0733.120926 (http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/VPCSB4C5E/downloads/EP0000277143_6449).

When I run the firmware update I get the following error: It failed in the enumeration of the device.

So, I know the webcam was working fine right before the upgrade.

Can anyone give me any advice.

I have tried removing the device from Device Manager (and all USB Controllers) but it is not making any difference.

Cheers,

Nick

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Nick and welcome.

This is one of a number of issues that seems common after the Windows 8 Upgrade.

There is no camera driver as it uses generic drivers that are a part of the Windows operating system.  You appear to have tried the usual troubleshooting steps.  The only long shot you can try is to remove the battery and AC power and then press and hold the Power Switch for 30 seconds to try to discharge any static.

We have sent a list of issues - including this one - to Sony.  Hopefully, we will get a reply!

:thinking:

profile.country.en_GB.title
@4743210200020819
Visitor

I have the same problem without upgrading to Windows8... still on Windows7 65 bit, as came originally on my VPCSA2C5E. I'm not so sure when my webcam became unavailable but I have used it in the past. I went through the same steps as the OP. Trying to install the firmware gives exactly the same error.

any other tips?