Join now - be part of our community!

ATI 6630M graphics card not working on Windows 8

profile.country.en_GB.title
Montague-Withnail
Visitor

ATI 6630M graphics card not working on Windows 8

Hello

I updated my Vaio VPCSA4C5E using all the instruction given by Sony and have Vaio update installed which has updated other features of my laptop. Sadly, when i use my speed/stamina switch to use the ATI graphics card, nothing happens and windows states my graphics performance in line with the inbuilt intel chip.

I can see the card in device manager and the driver there is stated as version 8.982.10.8000.

Is it simply that Sony haven't updated their drivers yet or has my installation not worked. Let me know if your using your card without trouble and if so, any ideas how to fix the problem?

Thanks

Steve

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Steve and welcome.

I have just looked at the Windows 8 Driver list for your model here: -

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/VPCSA4C5E/updates

It looks like you are right - there is an Intel driver but no ATi or ATi/Intel Hybrid driver.

I guess there is no Hybrid driver available yet.  I'll ask someone at Sony for clarification as my VPCSB Vaio has the same problem.

Has anyone had any success with this?

By the way, does the 3G WWAN work?

:thinking:

profile.country.da_DK.title
MadsBC
Visitor

Same issue here :-(. I have a Vaio VPCCB3S1E, and nothing seems to happen when I install the new win 8 drivers from the support page. The card remains in device manager, but the performance is like the intel chip. And there is no way to switch.

I really hope Sony gets this fixed!

profile.country.en_GB.title
Montague-Withnail
Visitor

Here's hoping. Thanks for the reply.

I don't have 3G to test.

Monty

Message was edited by: Montague-Withnail

profile.country.da_DK.title
MadsBC
Visitor

I noticed there is a new updated AMD graphics driver on the support page from december 7th...have you tried it?

I'm not sure I'll reinstall win8 before I know it'll work....

Message was edited by: MadsBC