Join now - be part of our community!

Xperia Z Tablet - Forgotten password

profile.country.GB.title
lmeilack
Explorer

Xperia Z Tablet - Forgotten password

Upon transferring ownership from my wife to myself, I've managed to change the password for the tablet and then forgotten it! I've read numerous articles on the web as regards how to perform a hard reset when the password is forgotten and, for me, none of them work. Including using Xperia Companion (this requires that I logon, which I can't). I'm advised to turn off the tablet and then to press and hold down the Volume + button followed by pressing and holding down the Power button until the Android screen is displayed. For me, this achieves nothing no matter how long I hold down both of these buttons. Am I missing something?

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

Try this:

Switch off the tablet.

Start Xperia Companion -> software repair.

Tick the: Device is not recognised or is a Smartwatch.

Instructions follow on screen.

From there everything should go fine.

PS

It's a good habit to write down your password somehwere, even in the second decade of the 21th century.

profile.country.GB.title
lmeilack
Explorer

Thanks but I've already tried that.

Tablet switched off:

Start Xperia Companion -> software repair.

Tick the: Device is not recognised or is a Smartwatch.

Tablet connected.

Starts downloading software but then fails  - Message is "Software repair error. Please try again. If the problem persists, please contact Sony Support." UEinstallation. WaitExit 103. 2.11.5.0 / Windows 10 64 bit  / Win32 /GB / /

Try this process with the Tablet turned on too soon and the message is  "Your device is locked", process stops.

Anything else that I can try?

profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

Computers tend to take new points of view after a restart.

Sometimes repeated attacks help.

What about rethinking your password?

Maybe you can find a clue?

profile.country.GB.title
lmeilack
Explorer

I'll keep trying. I use a password manager - RoboForm. However, on this occasion, it seems I just forgot to make a note of it 😞 I also use strong passwords and it's driving me crazy trying numerous permutations. Especially as it locks you out for thirty seconds after five attempts!

profile.country.GB.title
lmeilack
Explorer

Still unable to access the tablet. In desperation, I logged a call with Sony Support. Their response was that this is an issue that requires a Sony Engineer to resolve and I need to book it in. So, no help whatsoever. Looks like a tablet that's going to be rendered useless and heading for landfill.

profile.country.GB.title
lmeilack
Explorer

I've cracked it! I used the Sony software 'Xperia Companion'. What's pivotal is at what point the tablet is connected / disconnected while using the 'reinstall software' option. If that's carried out correctly, you then get the prompt to 1. Turn off the tablet and wait for 5 seconds. 2. Power on the tablet while holding down the Volume - (minus). The software reinstall will then start.