Join now - be part of our community!

Hundreds of phantom / duplicate contacts

SOLVED
ajsmith9870
Visitor

Hundreds of phantom / duplicate contacts

Since updating to the latest version of the software about a week ago, my contacts have cloned themselves.  I now have well over 100 entries for each individual contact.  Contacts and messaging now takes up to a minute to open and the contacts are impossible to use.  Help!  Any idea where to start troubleshooting this?  I have 2 gmail accounts, 1 activesync, 1 outlook.com account along with facebook contacts set to sync.  It was all working well until the a few days ago.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.RO.title
_alexdon_
Expert

What you can do is try to filter them. Or follow the same path but clear data for contacts storage (this will delete contacts stored on the phone). Sync them again.

alexdon

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.US.title
Qatrium
Expert

Try clearing cache of your contacts app:
- Go to Settings -> Apps -> All -> Contacts -> Clear data and restart your phone. (This will not delete the contacts)

ajsmith9870
Visitor

Already tried clearinf the cache and restarting the phone.  Unfortunatley made no difference.

profile.country.RO.title
_alexdon_
Expert

What you can do is try to filter them. Or follow the same path but clear data for contacts storage (this will delete contacts stored on the phone). Sync them again.

alexdon
ajsmith9870
Visitor

Thanks, filtering got me on the right track for troubleshooting, the offending app appears to be linkedin.  Turned off the linkedin sync for that and cleared the cache and restarted the phone, duplicates gone.

profile.country.RO.title
_alexdon_
Expert

Great news.

alexdon
Macarrone
Visitor

I'm having the same problem Thinking_Face how do I unsync LinkedIn? Do u have de step by step for clearing this problem?

tnx!!! Slightly_smiling_Face

benmaccoy
Visitor

I gave my mobile to my IT subxcontractor but he can not solve the multiplication of same contacts....

impossible to delete any of them

is there anybody able to help on this matter

my contact list is now full and i can not record any new contact for the last 2 months!!!

mtahoon
Explorer

For me it was Skype injected 150-200 duplicate contact for each real contact.

gmail had no duplicate contacts.

i checked these duplicate entries and always the source is skype.

i removed skype altogether, restarted phone, problem still there !!! with no source in these duplicate contacts.

Deleted 2 of them, waited 4 minutes; then eventually all those thousands duplicate contacts deleted :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
EMS_MO72
Community Team

Make sure that your contacts App is not synced with any other account that you have on the device because that cause the duplicated contacts issue. Can you let me know what is the model of your phone ?