Join now - be part of our community!

SURGE PROTECTION

profile.country.en_GB.title
Bravia55HX

SURGE PROTECTION

Hi Everyone,

All too often on here you get problems with overcurrent protection, power supply problems and other misnomers all of which the vast majority of can be avoided, this comes in the form of a Surge Protector.

for those of you who are unfamiliar with this, its basically an extension lead with multiple points that has built in components to protect your valuable electronic equipment from unwarranted power spikes in your mains supply thus proctecting your equipment from damage.

these very in price some as low as £6.99, there are also some more advanced types out there called Mains Conditioners, Tacima is a popular brand, these types are known not only to protect from surges but also any unwanted RFI ( radio frequency signals ) these are considerably more expensive but may be worth it if you have splashed hard earned cash on an expensive tv.

both of these types can be found online at most outlets (Amazon) for one or you can find them anywhere that sells electrical equipment.

i hope most of you find this useful,

regards

edited spelling mistakes!

Message was edited by: Bravia55HX923

Message was edited by: Bravia55HX923

3 REPLIES 3
KDL-CX520
Visitor

Thank you, yes the surge protector is essential to avoid many problem  and it is cheap nowadays

I found most of Sony devices have built-in surge protector inside...in the PSU (power supply unit/ board)...this is why Sony are reliable products

BTW , by checking RS online catalogue you can find many surge varistors , bought any and do it yourself to save money :slight_smile:

Bravia55HX

Hi,

yes im aware of Sony's built in protection and that is the whole point of my post to prevent it from ever reaching Sony products, its a lot easier to re set the surge protector or replace the fuse than it is to fix a tv or player or such like,

as for the RS components catalogue, not everyone are competant electronic engineers or enthusiasts, for the sake of 6.99 or so, or at the very top end of 40 quid its a far safer bet when you got around 3 grands worth of equipment connected up to use the proper thing.:smileywink:

stevie-v
New

Hi guys, could a blown surge protector cause all speakers to distort at all times on all inputs? 

I have tried factory reset, unplugging everything. Unplugging all speakers and plugging in one at a time. No luck..

Spoiler