Join now - be part of our community!

Sony WH-1000XM3 - v4.1.1 firmware failure?

profile.country.GB.title
GapsOfTheGod

Sony WH-1000XM3 - v4.1.1 firmware failure?

Having updated my 1000xm3's over the wekeend, there seems to be an introduction of hiss and a background noise of what sounds like distant traffic (even though I can hear nothing at all without the headphones on) when using Active Noise Cancellation, which was previously stellar. The potency of the noise cancelling is noticeably weaker since updating (I'd estimate around 40% less). Familiar auditory environments which were previously rendered almost entirely silent are now notedly audible. I've checked that the noise cancelling slider is left-most, and indeed it is.

I'm also disappointed to find I can't ask Alexa to play music from Spotify, and I press the button and just say "Play Metallica", it responds with "Shuffling music by Metallica on Amazon Music", yet nothing plays at all.

This update is very much a downgrade as it stands.

422 REPLIES 422
profile.country.SK.title
niorko
Explorer

I've just bought XM2 and was using it for awhile, then updated to v.4.1.1 and it seems like ANC is working less efficient and I also hear unpleasing hissing sounds... 😕 What to do with that.

profile.country.NO.title
RonnyAndresen

My 1000xm3 has this hissing sound, just like someone explains  like traffic in the distance.. Other things are feks when I'm sitting in my chair  the phones switches from sitting to running and so on.. I have no idea if the ANC is better or worse because I oppdated it right out of the box . 

profile.country.GB.title
GapsOfTheGod

Pre-update, there was no noticeable hiss (like a distant river / traffic, that I can hear now).

profile.country.GB.title
Paprikaa

With which smartphone did you guys do this update ?
I did it with a one plus 6t personally..
profile.country.GB.title
GapsOfTheGod

Huawei P20 Pro. Don't think that makes any sort of difference though.

profile.country.GB.title
Paprikaa

Ok, just wanted to be sure that we were not all having a 6T xD
profile.country.GB.title
Liersi
Explorer

With this talk of phones I feel this needs to be said again: reduced ANC performance in update 4.1.1 has nothing to do with the device the headphones are connected to or updated with. It's audible without any connection and with all the right settings.

This isn't directed at you, Paprikaa, by the way. We need to keep this from getting side tracked into blaming customers or other companies for the problem. Due diligence has been done. It's the update.

profile.country.JP.title
himmelmk2
Explorer

Same problem. Hope some media could let everyone know this before they update or buy it.

profile.country.GB.title
D_dato
Explorer

Bought mine a few days ago after reading all the great reviews regarding the quality of the noise cancelling. Never had experienced noice cancelling before, so after first charging I was blown away by the quality.

My office room has a particularily nosiy ceiling AC, so the complete silence was almost "hurtfull"! What a strange sensation.

I installed the phone app and was immediately bombarded by the "New Firmware Available - Upgrade Now!" popup. So I upgraded... (argh!).

Just like for many - the NC is now not as good as before and I am bothered by the HISSING... and absolutely no "hurtfull" silence!

Can't say about the charge life since I have them for a too short period (just 2 charings).

Sony, do something about it, or let me downgrade to 2.0.0!!!