Join now - be part of our community!

Windows 7 installation on Sony Vaio VPCEB4X5E - Error 320,

shail_kumar
Explorer

Windows 7 installation on Sony Vaio VPCEB4X5E - Error 320,

My laptop came with Windows 7 Home edition 64 bits installed.

Problem : Since last week, my laptop freezes after logging me in. There is no problem with windows  startup or login, just that it would not do anything after login. I tried everything in this sequence, but no help so far :-

1)      Restored windows to previous restore point – no result, same issue after logging in

2)      Used VAIO care to repair – nothing found and nothing was done.

3)      Used memory diagnostics and hardware checks, but again no issues were found in the test.

4)      Used VAIO care to rescue data and started the recovery process – Recovery stops after 40% with error "Error 320, please shutdown and try again"

5)      I did that several times (shutdown and Vaio care recovery), but got the same "Error 320" every time I would try recovery after 40%

6)      I then used my recovery discs which I had created when I received the laptop. I encountered same error 320 while using recovery disc after 40%.

7)      Then I wiped out my harddisk and tried recovery using the recovery disc – again "Error 320 after 40% recovery"

😎      Now, I am left with no Operating system, no data and a totally unusable laptop

I was very confident that with recovery discs, I could reinstall windows. But with "Error 320" I can NOT do anything now.

May I know what are my options now and how do I re-install windows again on my laptop? It has been more than a week since I have tried everything above but in vain.

My laptop configuration is as follows

Product code: VPCEB4X5E

Configured:

Intel® CoreTM i5-480M, 2.66GHz
Windows® 7 Home Premium
English (QWERTY)
White
500 GB Serial ATA (5400 rpm)
6 GB 1066MHz DDR3-SDRAM
DVD disc drive
39.4 cm LCD, 1366x768 + webcam
Intel® HD Graphics

8 REPLIES 8
sgdavies

Hi Shail,

If I was you I would perform a "Clean" Windows installation, you already have the Windows 7 Key, you will need this during the installation. Mayb you already have a windows 7 CD? If not you should be able to get the installation online, you could also be able to create a USB installation. 

here is one trusted website you could download from:-

http://download.cnet.com/Windows-7-Professional/3000-18513_4-10906772.html

but there are countless others, Good luck.

shail_kumar
Explorer

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am trying to do a clean installation now. Unfortunately can't get hold of Win 7 CD. I probably need to get this online from another PC or friend. Are you aware of any issues in installting windows this way? Won't Sony support provide such installation CDs ?

Thanks again !

sgdavies

Hi Again, I doubt very much if Sony will support this method of fixing it, or provide CDs, possibily also might invalidate your warranty, however I still think this is the best way to go, and I would do this every time, this also will get rid of all the bulk-ware which was originally on your laptop. for me this can only be a good thing. but you pay your money and you take your choice.

profile.country.GB.title
Nobody-in-particular
Contributor

Hi Shail_kumar, Have you contacted the Sony Vaio support team?

Error 320 is normally displayed when there is a problem with the recovery media did you try running the recovery from the hidden HDD partition?

You can purchase a set of recovery discs direct form the support team but I would make sure explain the problems you encountered when running the discs you created. 

I am not sure what came preinstalled on your Vaio but if you install your own copy of windows you would also have to purchase any of the preinstalled programs that were supplied with your Vaio which could prove costly.

shail_kumar
Explorer

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestion. I did contact Sony Vaio support.  I tried to recover using both HDD and recovery discs that I had created when I received the laptop. The laptop is out of warranty anyway.

Sony support suggests that it could be Hard disc failure. I might try replacing the HDD, but at the same time I am not sure if recovery discs would reinstall Windows on the new clean drive ? 

I won't bother much about any pre-installed programs. Another option I thought was to do a clean install using Windows 7 downloaded from microsoft, but Sony Vaio Support team told me that the product key won't work with retail version of Windows 7 since the key is for OEM version. I find it really annoying though !

shail_kumar
Explorer

Hi Again,

thanks for the reply. I did contact Sony Vaio support team and they told me that I can not do a clean install of windows since the key provided with laptop is for the OEM version and would not work with the retail version of Windows 7. I have got a bootable USB with Windows 7 in it, but if the key is not going to work it is going nowhere. Secondly, the support team suggested replacing HDD, but how would recovery disc install the OEM version (or can it?) of windows 7? Sorry, very much confused by thesereplies from the support team. I thought once I have a windows 7 key, I could install that version from anywhere

sgdavies

Do you always listen to idots? or people who say dont go out cause you might get a cold? or dont put your hand in the fire, If Sony support told me anything, I would know to go the other way.

Listern just install the darn thing, if hardware is working correct, it wont ask for the Key until the installation is completed, give it a try. What have you got to lose?

PS

Here is a whole thread about the Question... Do it!

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/can-i-use-windows-7-oem-k...

shail_kumar
Explorer

ha ha, yes I was anyway going to try it out. Just mentioned how support guys confused the hell out of me.

thanks