Join now - be part of our community!

VGN-NS20E overheating on charge

profile.country.en_GB.title
Rhizzz
New

VGN-NS20E overheating on charge

Hi there,

Hope you guys can help would be greatly appreciated

My laptops core seems to be running at a normal 50-55°c when I am using it around the house without charging. But recently it has started to lose power around 1-2 hours however when I start to charge the temperature soars anything between 70-100°c depending on whether or not I'm watching YouTube videos. When the laptop starts hitting temperatures of around 65°c the sound also starts cutting out and I have to tilt the screen around to get it back.
This is a recent problem however it makes an instant jump as soon as the charger is plugged in and I'm worried that my laptop is continuously overheating.

Is there any way to fix this before I lose my Vaio for good? It's been a hardy little thing over the years and I wouldn't like to buy another one as I've already had to have the harddrive replaced!

To add; Im not using it on my lap when charging, just literally watching it jump 20 degrees as I plug in the charger and then it just climbs slowly

I would of contacted Sony directly however the email support has been "down for maintenance" for me as long a I've been trying and I have no way of ringing their premium rate number

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Rhizzz and welcome to the Sony Users Community forums.

Just a guess - but check if the processor is restricted by the OS when operating on battery power.  It is possible that it is running at 2.16GHz on mains power but, in order to save battery, it may be running at 1 or 1.5GHz on battery.

Have a look in Control Panel -> Power Options -> and check which Power Plan is selected.  If you choose 'Change Advanced Power Settings' you can scroll down to Processor Power Management and see if the processor is throttled down on battery.

This may (or may not) explain the symptoms you have.

In any event, the solution is probably to take the Vaio apart and renew the thermal paste between the processor and the heat sink and give the fans and airways a good spring clean.

:thinking: