Join now - be part of our community!

sony vaio vgn-cs11s charging issue

SOLVED
ianhaney
New

sony vaio vgn-cs11s charging issue

Hi

I have a Sony Vaio VGN-CS11S laptop and I have replaced the charger port and I tested it after I replaced the charger port and on the charge indicator was orange on the battery indicator but has not stopped lighting up orange now, not sure if the battery is on its way out or completely gone as was lighting up orange before on the indicator

Only other thing I can think off is the power supply itself, I am using a universal laptop charger but it is set to the correct output of 19 as the range is 19-19.5 on the laptop charger and on the laptop says the output is 19.5

Hope anyone can help me please

Thank you in advance

Ian

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
ianhaney
New

Hi rich912

Thank you for the reply, appreciate it

It seems to be all ok now, I stripped it down again and took the board out and plugged everything back in again etc. and has came on and is charging and all working

I agree universal chargers are never good to use especially if for a long period of time as can damage the laptop as was reading up on them, they only come in handy as they can power most laptops, the one I got I can change the output on it from 15 up to 24, is on 19V at the mo and seems to powering and charging the laptop all ok

On the universal charger it does say 90W Max on it

What do you recommend charger wise for laptops as would end up with loads of all the different laptop models or is it best to buy a sony one for example but get the different tips?

View solution in original post

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi ianhaney,

Good to hear that the problem appears to be sorted.

With regards to a suitable charger, I would always try to obtain a genuine OEM product. Unfortunately with older models this can be difficult but a Google may throw up some results.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi ianhaney,

I am not a fan of universal chargers but another consideration is the output amperage. In order for the charger to function correctly this should be equal to or greater than the original specification which I believe is 4.7A for this model (thus providing 90W).

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
ianhaney
New

Hi rich912

Thank you for the reply, appreciate it

It seems to be all ok now, I stripped it down again and took the board out and plugged everything back in again etc. and has came on and is charging and all working

I agree universal chargers are never good to use especially if for a long period of time as can damage the laptop as was reading up on them, they only come in handy as they can power most laptops, the one I got I can change the output on it from 15 up to 24, is on 19V at the mo and seems to powering and charging the laptop all ok

On the universal charger it does say 90W Max on it

What do you recommend charger wise for laptops as would end up with loads of all the different laptop models or is it best to buy a sony one for example but get the different tips?

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi ianhaney,

Good to hear that the problem appears to be sorted.

With regards to a suitable charger, I would always try to obtain a genuine OEM product. Unfortunately with older models this can be difficult but a Google may throw up some results.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
ianhaney
New

No problem, will look into getting a genuine charger for it

Thank you for the replies, appreciate it