Join now - be part of our community!

Sony VAIO Owners... GRAPHICS CHIP ((READ THIS))

profile.country.en_GB.title
MiserableVAIO_Owner
Visitor

Sony VAIO Owners... GRAPHICS CHIP ((READ THIS))

For those of you that own a Sony VAIO I'm sure you either have or will come accross this problem in due course. I have owned my Sony VAIO for about 3 years, pretty much the same as every one else who is now experiencing this problem. The graphics cards in Sony VAIO's are NOT built to last what so ever, the chip is placed incorrectly resulting in the need to spend LOTS of money repairing or buying a new laptop. My advice to you is this...

If your Sony VAIO graphics card HAS finaly buggered up do NOT pay for repairs on your Sony VAIO as it is a very simple fix as i have done this myself.. Also if you do pay for a repair on your Sony VAIO whoever it is doing the job for you is most likely making a FORTUNE out of you as they are probably doing this themselves.. I'm not saying your Sony VAIO will last forever but you will definutely get a good few months more out of it!

Ok heres what you need to do....

Turn your Sony VAIO over so the bottom is facing upwards...

Take out all the screws that you see

Once you have done this you should be able to remove the case of your Sony VAIO

What you are looking for is your graphics chip (This will be held down by a number of screws)

Tighten these screws as hard as you can with a small screw driver (MUST BE AN EXACT FIT!!)

Place your Sony VAIO back together and this should do the trick

15 REPLIES 15
profile.country.GB.title
Nobody-in-particular
Contributor

@michaelat59 wrote:

So my recommendation would be to put your machine in the boot of your car, drive 35 miles over bumpy roads, and see what happens.   I'm not entirely joking, after all it worked for me !   Something loose was obviously jolted back into place.

mh

Not the best advice I have read.. :wink:

profile.country.en_GB.title
michaelat59
Explorer

Totally unnecessary comment. If the alternative is junking the machine
because it is too expensive to have it fixed you have nothing to lose.
profile.country.GB.title
DRAD1611
New

I being using Sony Vaio Since 2007 until now exactly 10 Years. No issue. Reformated 3 times. Upgrade to Window 7 1 time and Replaced The HDD once. No other issue and working perfectly. 

Now I'm looking to upgrade the ATI due to out dated and few software / application needed graphic card 3.0 above.

Quite frustrated Sony stop the production.

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @DRAD1611 and welcome to the Community :slight_smile:

You're not the only one :wink:

If only we lived in the USA:

https://us.vaio.com/

They look very nice :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
larubenstein
New

My monitor has a pink hue and shows 'ghost screens' (previous screens of apps I have just visited), however, if I connect an external monitor via the HDMI cable, I cannot see the pink hue or the ghost screens - in fact, if you didn't open the lid of the laptop and just viewed the external, you wouldn't know there was an issue.

I've been told it could be a cable issue on the link between the screen and the keyboard - does that make sense?  If so, how can I go about fixing it? Anyone got experience with this? I'm not scared to open it up and replace although if it's very tricky, I may just use it as if it's a pc and leave it hooked up to the external monitor. Suggestions welcome.

profile.country.GB.title
DRAD1611
New

Hi,
I believed, nothing to do with the cables between the Screen and Mother
Board. If the cable faulty, the screen would turn to black. Unfortunately,
your Screen is faulty. Replace to new screen.

Cheers