Join now - be part of our community!

Reinstalling Windows 7

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Kaj100
Visitor

Reinstalling Windows 7

Hi there.

My Vaio has been running incredibly slow lately, crashing constantly. I tried defragggin, clearing the hard drive and that stuff. Didn't really work.

So now I've resorted to reinstalling windows. Except sony never gave me a windows 7 disk. They said something about special dvds but I never understood it. So now I'm going to borrow my friends Windows 7 disk, and use it. If I use the serial number at the bottom of my Vaio, will that give me a genuine version?

TLDR?

Laptop slow and crashing. Tried stuff. No help. Reinstall windows 7, use the serial on the bottom of my Vaio, will it work and give genuine version?

Also any other tips and advice would be much appreciated before I reinstall (Got like 100gb worth of installed games and programs to reinstall >_<)

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Yes, running the recovery utility from either the HDD or the recovery media will restore the Vaio to factory settings.

The recovery disks are for use when either the HDD fails and a new HDD is installed or the recovery partion has been corrupted. You will have been prompted on a number of occasions to created these disks.

To create the recovery disks open Vaio Recovery Center – click Start > All Progams > Vaio Recovery Center > Create Recovery Disks.

To use the recovery disks insert the first disk and then shut down. Re-boot and the recovery utility should load.

These disks are an image of the OS when purchased and do not contain any personal data so backup anything you require prior to proceeding.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

HiKaj100,

If you have not created the recovery disks then try tapping F10 at boot when you see the Vaio logo. This should open the HDD recovery utility.

Be aware that the recovery procedure will delete all personal data and third party software but retain Sony utilities and software.

Once restored it would be advisable to create the recovery disks - should you need directions for this then let us know.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Kaj100
Visitor

Fantastic!

That'll save a lot of work and hassle. So it's like a restore to factory settings?

Also how do the recovery disks work?

Thanks!

keiooz
Visitor

I would also want to know the procedures on doing this? Should I create a recovery disk first or Vaio has a function to recover my notebook without the need of recovery disk? This disk is only for backup purposes in case you already having a hard time opening your machine, right?

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Yes, running the recovery utility from either the HDD or the recovery media will restore the Vaio to factory settings.

The recovery disks are for use when either the HDD fails and a new HDD is installed or the recovery partion has been corrupted. You will have been prompted on a number of occasions to created these disks.

To create the recovery disks open Vaio Recovery Center – click Start > All Progams > Vaio Recovery Center > Create Recovery Disks.

To use the recovery disks insert the first disk and then shut down. Re-boot and the recovery utility should load.

These disks are an image of the OS when purchased and do not contain any personal data so backup anything you require prior to proceeding.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
jayarem
New

When I bought my Sony Windows was pre-installed and there were no recovery disks. Am I able to download Windows 7 to reinstall it? I went to the Microsoft site but it said I had to go to the laptops manufacturer

jayarem
New

I clicked on start / all programs / but there was no vaio recovery centre

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi jayarem,

Press the Assist button to launch Vaio Care. Select 'Advanced Tools' and then select 'Restore and Recovery'. The option to create recovery media is then under Recovery.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat