Join now - be part of our community!

New bios upgrade for FJ series!

Wilkie
Visitor

New bios upgrade for FJ series!

Hi guys, have you ever heard about this??
ftp://ftp.vaio.sony.co.jp/pub/vaio/download/SP-009663-13/PHBSYS-00966313-UN.exe

It comes fromm sony japan..... I'm not sure to try it....

7 REPLIES 7
munkie
Visitor

Thanks Wilkie!
After reading your post I gave this a go on my FJ1Z.

After clicking "run", the dialogue opens to tell me my model number, which BIOS version I currently have and the version I can upgrade to. I clicked upgrade, the software works away for a minute or two, then tells me the upgrade is complete and shuts down the PC.

At startup - the CDROM grunts twice now instead of once and the VAIO screen shows the new Intel logo instead of the "Intel Inside" one we're all so used to.

The fan is 10x better than before! Before the BIOS update the fan would be either on or off, spinning to full every time the CPU went above 70%-ish, and then turning off when it went back below, sometimes every few seconds. Now the fan is usually off, but sometimes comes on very slowly, speeding up and slowing down as necessary responding to temperature rather than CPU. The computer feels very noticeably cooler now whereas before the fan would be blowing out some very hot air. Thanks to the software it's also much quieter, even when the fan is on.

I'll post more when I've had more of a chance to test it.

Munkie 🐵 :heart_eyes: my Vaio!

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Thanks for that valuable evaluation.

Wilkie
Visitor

Thanks munkie!!!:smileygrin: you are the Man!!:smileycool:
I wait for your test... then I will upgrade my Bios!!
introductions are good!!

munkie
Visitor

Hey Wilkie!

GO for it, the fan improvements alone are worth the upgrade. I've been running for a few hours now, no problems and a super cool, super silent PC.

Proud owner of an FJ1Z / White

Wilkie
Visitor

ok guys, I upgrade my Bios to R0090X6!! Munkie at startup my FJ doesn't show the new intel logo...!and CDROM grunts only once....:smileyconfused:
Why??.....fan is really better than before..... this improvement is good....

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Maybe because you've got show logos off in the BIOS and you're booting from HDD not CD-ROM?

Wilkie
Visitor

well...I see the Vaio logo at startup....you cannot turn off it!....and before upgrade my Bios, my CDROM grunted....so, nothing has changed for me!