Join now - be part of our community!

Last problem with FE11-S: notebook doesn't power-off

ocatarineta
Visitor

Last problem with FE11-S: notebook doesn't power-off

Everything went ok with my WinXp Pro, but one: when I shut down (or restart, exactly the same), the notebook logs out, saves data, shutdown mask disappears, and the notebook lasts forever with the blue-XP sceen, the movable muose pointer and nothing more, waiting to power off but never doing it. CTRL-ALT-CANC does absolutely nothing here.

Any idea?
Thank you!

23 REPLIES 23
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Sounds like something is freezing, I can't really think of how to tackle this but try shutting a lot down manually before shutdown

Jmb
Visitor

The problem is the camera... but don't now what to do to resolve it... For now i have it disable!!!

profile.country.en_NL.title
Carelino
Visitor

Everything went ok with my WinXp Pro, but one: when I shut down (or restart, exactly the same), the notebook logs out, saves data, shutdown mask disappears, and the notebook lasts forever with the blue-XP sceen, the movable muose pointer and nothing more, waiting to power off but never doing it. CTRL-ALT-CANC does absolutely nothing here.

Any idea?
Thank you!

Haha the webcam???? are you crazy.....

I have also an FE11S but never had this problem. The information you are giving is to little. It could be so many things, like the software you installed. For instance virusscanners can cause your computer to hang, there are so many possiblities.

I advise you to:
1 Think of the what date the last time your laptop closed properly. Be presize.
2. Normally you also have system restore on your computer. Everytime you install a certain program windows creates a system restore. Run a system restore on a date that your computer shut down properly.
3. If this doesn't work there a lot more possibilities. But I think this is the beste solution you can get righ now. Otherwise lookup on the internet information.

4. Another possibilty is that your computer does not shut down because a certain program cannot be closed. Usely you get a lot of <profanity removed by moderator> from the internet en programs you install. Go to start...run....type: msconfig look in the tab services and startup for anything unusual. Big chance there is something wrong in there....

Jmb
Visitor

Trust me it's the camera... I also formated my pc because didin't like ther partitions... When instaled the win xp pro qhen i instaled the camere the computer never rebboted or shutdown again it hangs!!

There is probably a windows update but didn't figure it out wich one...

Carelino
Visitor

Hahah trust me!

Why do you Format your drive??? What a BIG waste of TIME...guess you never heard of Partition Magic.....dohhhhh...you have a lot more to figure out :smileygrin: But if you like to waste your time have fun doing so....small advise if you create partitions I advise you to create two one for Windows and all the other crap you install.....and another one for al your personal stuff downloads and blablablabla. If you ever get problems you will always be able to get to your stuff and also install xp all over again or even upgrade to windows vista in the Future Another advantage is you don't have to burn your ass off with dvd's and besides wasting time also money.....But I guess you are going to format your laptop again and again and again.... hahaha guess you have time to waste....unlike me...

lol

Jmb
Visitor

Dear sir, i'm here just to help, not to listen to the crap you say...
Someone has a problem, and if you look on the forum everyone who instaled another OS is having the same!

If you don't know how to solve it, save your wise to you!

Has i said the problem is the camera, and to fix it is probably a windows update, just like the one to fix the soundcard which we needed the Kb888111 update to detect it properly!!

For now disable the camera, maybe someone from Sony will tell wich update is!!

Carelino
Visitor

Dear sir, i'm here just to help, not to listen to the crap you say...
Someone has a problem, and if you look on the forum everyone who instaled another OS is having the same!

If you don't know how to solve it, save your wise to you!

Has i said the problem is the camera, and to fix it is probably a windows update, just like the one to fix the soundcard which we needed the Kb888111 update to detect it properly!!

For now disable the camera, maybe someone from Sony will tell wich update is!!

Dear Sir,

I am just here to spread around some crap, and I am not here to help somebody. I just tell them what it could be and like to waste my time doing so :smileygrin: ... I'm sorry I touched your feelings....

Installing "another" OS fine do whatever you want....but once again it would be very stupid to install Windows XP Pro if the FE11S comes with Windows XP Pro Media Center Edition.

Have fun installng windows updates for something you already have....

ocatarineta
Visitor

Hello,
thank you everybody for suggestions.
I can confirm that the problem is in the integrated USB2 camera driver. I'm wondering if this is related with the known USB2 ACPI Microsoft bug. A patch will be soon available.

Installing "another" OS fine do whatever you want....but once again it would be very stupid to install Windows XP Pro if the FE11S comes with Windows XP Pro Media Center Edition.

I had no choiche, I have to connect to an Active Directory Domain and WMC (which is based on a Home edition and not on a Pro) cannot do it.

lester_itiz
Visitor

Hi Everyone,

Also I had the exact same problem, after reinstalling an English version WinXP because of the language matter.(only Dutch/French for Belgium)
It "freezes" when shutting down/restart.
No matter what others say, indeed it is the Motion Eye Camera.
Disabling helps, but isn't a solution.
I have mailed Sony, this is there solution;

"Please note that we can only support the preinstalled Operating System and software.
We do not offer assistance in installing or managing any other Operating System.

The Sony software might only work with the preinstalled Operating System; the newer versions are not sold seperately.
All available drivers for other Operating Systems can be downloaded from our website.
If you are looking for drivers, then please visit our website regularly and check whether there are updates available"

In other words we have to wait, no patch/fix at all (yet).

Ocatarineta, a question for you, can you please tell me where you found the news about a patch beeing available soon ?

thnxalot,
Lester