Join now - be part of our community!

A disk error has occcured

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
ije2000
Visitor

A disk error has occcured

I bought my Vaio 9 months ago and now when I try to turn it on it keeps saying "A disk read error occured, Press Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart" but every time I restart it the same message appears. Does this mean that my hard disk has to be replaced or what?? Help pleasee!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

From the Support tab at the top of this page select ‘Contact Us’ > select country and then at the bottom of the next page click ‘Contact Us’ again > select Vaio and Computing > enter your serial number – the contact options available to you will be displayed. I suggest you use telephone contact.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi ije2000,

Did this happen after rebooting following a Windows Update as this has now been reported a few times in the last few weeks – I too have had the same problem.

You could try F8 at boot to carry out a startup repair or safe mode, if these options are available.

Ultimately you may need to try a factory reset (F10 at boot or Assist button when fully shut down) but be aware that this will format the drive and all personal data and third party applications will be lost. This was the only option in my case but thankfully I had a backup of all data.

If that doesn’t work then contact Support for a repair.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
ije2000
Visitor

thanks Rich, i have already carried out a startup repair and safe mode but it still saying same thing. I dont want to loose all my personal data atm so i wont be trying the factory reset. thanks for the reply, really greatful.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi ije2000,

I understand your reluctance to lose all data if you don’t have a backup.

One option would be to remove the hard drive and place it in a USB caddy to attempt a retrieval of data before a factory reset. I would certainly consider this before sending off for repair as there is a strong chance that you would then lose all data anyway.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
ije2000
Visitor

My laptop is still having same issue, it even had a startup repair which at the end did not work. It has become worse that each time you on it it keep saying "operating system not found". Sony can u save my PC, i am writing my dissertation and this is very annoying, very very annoying.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi ije2000,

Whilst I understand your frustration the only way forward, as nothing else seems to have worked, is to contact Sony Support for a repair before your warranty expires.

We are users here not official support and cannot assist with repairs under warranty.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
ije2000
Visitor

please how do i contact them. Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

From the Support tab at the top of this page select ‘Contact Us’ > select country and then at the bottom of the next page click ‘Contact Us’ again > select Vaio and Computing > enter your serial number – the contact options available to you will be displayed. I suggest you use telephone contact.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat