Join now - be part of our community!

HDMI audio KDL 32EX523

profile.country.GB.title
jazuk1
Explorer

HDMI audio KDL 32EX523

Hi just a quick question

I have a PS3 with HDMI conected to the TV. The TV has optical out into AV amp Sony STR DR798.

When I play DVD or game on the PS3 I do not get the multi audio decoding. I have set the PS3 audio output on the HDMI to be 5.1 and others but only prologic2 decoding is detected.

Putting the optical cable from the PS3 to the AV amp I get multi audio decoding and full 3.1 /2 dolby decoding (the screen shows this and a blue light bar on the amp lights up and the sound is amaizing.

So why is the TV not processing the audio and passing through 5.1?

I did remember that few weeks ago it did as the blue light on the amp lit up when I was playing a game. Now nothing. Both the TV and the PS3 has been firmware upgraded since.

There are no settings on the TV other than swithcing between tv speaker or audio out.

I could connect the PS3 sound to the amp (another optical cable) but will mean messing with changing the amp input and the TV input. Im getting an Xbox so dont want to get yet another optical and HDMI cable.

Jas

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
jazuk1
Explorer

Well I think this stumped everyone then.

Just got a xbox360 to try and what the heck, hdmi into tv with optical out from the to amp (as with the PS3) I get wait for it, 5.1 dolby pass through. my little amp scrolls dolby 3/ 2.1 and little blue light shows multi decoding.

So now then its not the tv but something to do with the ps3.

So tonight went through all the settlings and still on joy except using the tv remote and showing the ps3 menu (not the main ps3 menu but the one thats superimposed over a dvd, there is a av menu and on the last item is audio. it was set for liniear PMC so i selected bitrate and got dolby output.

Totally confused as the main ps3 menu I had selected dolby5.1.

Goes to show,little litrature and major menus leave us failing like a fish in alcahol

Message was edited by: jazuk1

Message was edited by: jazuk1