Join now - be part of our community!

Google Play Services has stopped - cannot open programmes

profile.country.GB.title
MikeMidd2001
New

Google Play Services has stopped - cannot open programmes

I have an old (2014?) Sony Xperia Z4 tablet that is has started giving me a constant "Unfortunately, Google Play services has stopped" pop-up. When I click "ok", it pops up immediately almost every time. 

I have seen various help options to go into Settings and disable the app, uninstall the app, etc. But if I open Settings, once the pop-up appears and I click "ok", Settings automatically closes. This happens sometimes on the first pop-up, sometimes it takes a couple, but regardless I cannot get Settings to stay open long enough to even click on "Apps", let alone do anything. 

I have tried rebooting and it is not working. Amazingly, I've tried the process for a factory reset using hte power button and down and up volume buttons and that isn't working either, it won't open a menu/process for it. 

Has anyone seen this before, and are there any solutions? I'm on the verge of just trashing it now!

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.PH.title
MarlonUk1
Expert

hello @MikeMidd2001 

the device has been discontinued years ago, im not sure if google still supports it.,

you can probably restore the device to factory settings in device or use Xperia companion to do a software repair